CatsPets

My Cat Using Flowerbed for Litter Box

Our cat has taken to using the front flower bed for her litter box. This makes it smell so awful when one walks up to the front door. Nasty! She has a litter box in the garage, which we keep open a bit to allow her to go in and out, so I don't know how this got started. How do I get her to stop this? Help!

By Deborah

Two suggestions: You could cover the dirt with mulch made of bark chips. I don't think your car would enjoy pawing those chips very much. Or, I would think cat repellant spray would work well IF your front door is not too close to the garage door where she goes in and out. You can purchase this spray online, or in any pet store. On a day with low wind, just spray it on the ground in that area, as well as the lower branches of the bushes (if any). You'll have the check the label on the can to see if it's okay to get the spray on the flowers, though. Due to the sun and rain, you'll have to spray again every few days. But I would think after a week or two, she'll already be avoiding that area for good.

Good luck!

DeDe

Well You could surround the Flower Bed with motion detectors that go off loud enough to scare the cat away. Or if your cat hates Cat Liter surround your flower bed with it.

Put pinecones in the flower box until she stops using it. They are big and have sharp points (and shouldn't look too bad in the flower box while she gets the hint).

We had trouble when we moved in here with the neighbors cats coming over and using our flower bed by the front door for a litter box- gross! It wasn't the best smell for us, but we put moth balls on the dirt around the plants. It smelled a heck of a lot better then cat poo and it kept the cats away from our flower box.