Removing Embroidery Transfers From Fabric

I have ironed on an ink transfer to a white pillowcase to hand embroider. I ironed it on upside down and want to wash it out and re-iron it on the correct way. I have washed it several times and it hasn't even lightened up even a little bit. I have never dried the item.

I'm making Christmas pillowcases for my granddaughters and I can't start this one over as I did the sewing on the other items and left the wrong one alone. Please help. I'm going to try some stain remover this time.
Thanks to anyone that has a suggestion for me.
wackypat1

By Wackypat1 from Escondido, CA

Answers

Best Answer

I tried this and the dishwasher detergent and bleach worked! I had ironed on an embroidery transfer and decided that I didn't want it.
The material was a white dishtowel. Thanks!

Best Answer

I used 1/2 cup Dawn dish detergent and the bleach. Soaked for about 15 minutes and there is no trace. I don't think I'd want to use the bleach if any embroidery had been done. I had a pattern that had a 'shadow' so wanted to do it over. The project hadn't been started yet. Thanks for the tip!

Answer this Question

2 More Questions

After cold water washing my stamped embroidery project the blue markings didn't come out. The manufacturer said it would fade in time after numerous washings. This is a gift and I have been trying to wash it daily to help get rid of the markings with no results.

Suggestions please.

Answers

These are generally permanent. I dont think they will fade.

There is not really a whole lot you can really do. If you try to wash it too much this can make the thread bleed or destroy the work you have put into this. These marking are horrible and they really are hard to get rid of. One way I got rid of one I wanted to give as a gift was to dry another design over the top of the marking and embroidery over the top of it. You can try to do your name or some cute to make it look good and go with your project.

I'm sorry but I do not believe these will come out. They may fade slightly but most likely will always be present on your project.
I have an embroidered pillow case from the 50's which has been washed and dried (in the sun and in the dryer) and the blue lines are still showing.
The pillow cases are still in very good condition (vintage cotton seems to last forever) and the embroidery thread (beautiful birds and flowers) is still very bright, but the blue markings are also still present.
Please, enjoy your finished work and only laundry when necessary.

Here is a link you might like to read where someone is asking the same question.

www.quiltingboard.com/.../how-remove-blue-prestamped-marking...

This is a tough one. If the piece is already done, I would be terrified of damaging it. Can you call the manufacturer and ask if they have any suggestions since yours did not "fade" as promised?

When I used to stitch, I made a point to totally cover the blue with my stitches...but that was me and truthfully, the finished projects did not always look good because the stitching was "thick" in some spaces. I am thinking of a particular pillow case that was like this.

Dawn Simple is my go to for everything, but unless the threads were pre-rinsed to stabilize them, you risk having water or anything wet touch the piece and getting bleed from the blues, reds, blacks, etc.

If you did pre-rinse your threads and are sure they won't bleed, you can take a clean toothbrush that is damp and a little Dawn and try to gently scrub at the stamping. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It also depends on how new the pattern is. If you are working on a vintage piece that has been printed for years, you are going to have a challenge vs. a newer piece that might not have yet set.

Post back with updates.

Answer this Question

How do you remove iron on transfers (the kind for embroidery) from fabric? They are not clear enough to see the design. They have been washed several times but that did not remove the blue color.

Crafts Needlework EmbroideryMay 29, 2019
😷
🎉
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf85158872.tip.html