Keeping Fleas Off Dog

I have a Jack Russel/Chi, he is allergic to fleas. If one gets on him he scratches himself until he is bald and sore, I have tried everything except taking him to the vet, which right now I can't afford. Please can someone help? He has a smell to him and scratches himself so badly it scabs up. I have done Benadryl. I even use Advantage every month, but that also makes him itch an irritates him a lot. I tried the Comfortis pill, but it doesn't work. So I just need some advice. I will try anything, home remedies or whatever.

By Heather

My mom lives on a farm and when her cats got fleas really bad she douched them in vegetable oil and let them stay outside til the oil was off on its own. The fleas never came back. I don't know if you have money for vegetable oil or how big or small your dog is or even if you can have your dog outdoors but its an idea. My mom swears by it that it kills the fleas, it seals them in and kills them and the eggs and they don't come back. If you have the dog indoors I recommend doing this outdoors and then bugging your house so that no fleas in the house stay. Also if fleas don't have a dog they will go to the next host which is you!

Look up on the internet uses for apple cider vinegar. You can dilute it and spray it on, they also suggest adding a teaspoon to their food. Also look up Home Remedys for Dogs Hotspots. You will find tons of things.

My dog is the same way and I can not afford a vet either so I try what sounds like it won't burn her skin. Be careful though as you will be shocked at some of the things that are bad for dogs. Check them out carefully. I also heard adding one fish oil cap to their food helps their skin. I'm trying that next.

Have you considered that it's not a flea allergy? He could be allergic to his food. Try changing his food to a soy and corn free variety.

Diatomaceous (spelling?) earth, garden grade not pool grade. Sold in garden centers and feed stores. Dust your dog with it and his bed, anything.

It is not toxic, the only caveat is to not inhale it as it is a fine dust. Our local Dave the Garden Guy on TV has even tasted it to show it is not toxic.

Home and Garden Pest Control FleasApril 24, 2012
🍀
💘