AdvicePets

Urn for a Pet

I recently lost my pet and I'm looking for something to use for her ashes. I have done a search and can't find any under $100.

Thanks for your help!
Tim from South Dakota

Sorry at this sad time for you.
I have no experience of such things, but what comes to mind is a ginger jar (if you don't know what I mean, look it up on Google and click images tab).
They come in all sizes, and colours, patterned or plain and don't have to be expensive.
Hope this helps.

Hi Tim,
So sorry for you loss. You don't say what kind of pet so you may need something very large or very small. I was thinking the same thing, a ginger jar. They are usually made from ceramics so and have a lid. Melt some wax to secure the lid after you fill it with the ashes. Another idea is a fancy tin of some kind. I have seen veterinarians use something like that when they send the ashes home with owners. If your pet was a large dog, you may need something bigger. A pretty cookie jar might work. In any case, make sure you seal it good either with wax or some kind of caulking so it is not accidently opened or spilled by someone who might not know what it is.

Take care of yourself.
Susan

so sorry you've lost your friend. I have 2 shi-tzus 10 & 17 yrs old. am preparing for that day.
I purchased 2 tapestry boxes that have hinge type lids . I plan on sealing the lid when the time comes .
there are lots of wooden boxes available too. just saw one at beallsflorida.com.

I'd bought a small wooden box at a truckstop (lacquered picture on the top- horses, tigers, unicorns, waterfalls, etc), less than $20. You might want to use something like this.

Sorry to hear about your loss.....my friend went out and bought a pretty cookie jar for his g/f's ashes when she passed away.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your family member.. when my mother lost her 3 scotty dogs she went out and bought 3 scotty cookie jars placed there ashed in the jar and put there collars around the neck of the jar and places them in her curio cabnet in her living room she places there phots behind them and a copy of "the rainbow bridge" poem along with them
once again I am so very sorry for your loss
Carol

See what used was just a jar that has a lid to it & then you decorate it up. Mine turned out really nice

I don't know if you will think this is too corny, but the Build a Bear and Animal Works companies are now allowing people to put the ashes of their pets inside of a stuffed animal you make at their store. You can find a likeness to your pet and then put the ashes, usally in a jar, into the stuffed animal. It is quite comforting for a lot of people.

I had the same dilemma with the ashes of my cat Ninja. Finally, my husband and I were at a store that had a sale on birdhouses. There was a wonderful and cute one there that was a black and white striped cat. The birdhouse had a hinged door on the back of the cat near the tail that opened up for cleaning. We placed Ninja's ashes inside the cat birdhouse and now she sits next to our patio window enjoying the sun just like she used to do.

So sorry for your loss. Fortunately when we have had a pet cremated their remains came back inside of a plastic baggy, which was inside of a floral tin, such as those used for hard candies or cookies.