MiscellaneousCleaning

Smell From Mink Farm on Hands

A family member, who lives with us, recently started working at a mink farm. He handles the mink for vaccinations. Unfortunately, they urinate when they are being handled. Now, even though he wears thick leather gloves, it soaks through, and leaves the most awful smell on him! We have tried a lot of different remedies but nothing seems to be taking the smell from his skin on his hands. Any ideas would be MOST appreciated!

Lori

Straight Vinegar to wash hands with...

Vanilla extract.

what about wearing surgical rubber gloves. they are supposed to prevent the neeles etc from sticking maybe the nails etc wouldnt go thru either. i would also soak in vinegar for at least 10 mins. dont allow his clothing in the house at all either. the smell probably is all oveer him not just his hands.

I have a friend who works in the seafood dept. of a major gorcery chain. When I asked her what she does about the "fishy" smell on her hands she told me that she keeps a large tube of toothpaste at work and when she's getting ready to go home she smears a glob of it all over her hands and lets it sit for a minute. She then washes with regular soap and water and no fishy smell. I've used this when I've been slicing onions. It works for that, too.

Best Answer

I am a rancher and the only way to avoid the smell is to wear rubber gloves under your catching gloves. If this makes your hands hurt you need a bigger rubber gloves. The only way to get the smell out once it's there is to soak your hand in Epson Salt for about half hour