CanningFood and Recipes

Determining Canning Time for Smaller Jars

Category Canning

I need to can in smaller jars, and want to know how to adjust canning times for a recipe if I am putting product in smaller jars. Is there a rule or a guide line that I can follow?

By Jean

I haven't canned for 23 years, that is the last time I had a garden or had a place to store home canned goods, from what I can remember it depends on the type of produce you are canning. Either google the topic, or go to your local library and look for books on the topic, also you can buy a small book put out by the companies that make jars, etc. Also most areas have a home extension agent that would be connected either to your state or county and they could probably give you the information. I assume you are talking about using pint jars.

There probably isn't much difference in time. If you don't have any directions just use the time for larger jars.

Check out the USDA website or call your local extension agent. Here is a link to the USDA website. snap.nal.usda.gov/.../index.php?info_center=15&tax_level.... You will find a lot of canning resources here.

Also, the Ball Blue Book is a valuable resource in giving canning times, recipes and tips and pointers. pickyourown.org is also a good site to visit to get canning advice and recipes. Best wishes to you in your canning endeavors.