Reusing Rubber Spatulas

Category Reusing
rubber_spatulas
Once your rubber spatula is no longer useful for cooking there are other ways to reuse this kitchen tool. This guide is about reusing rubber spatulas.

Don't throw your cracked rubber spatula out. Trim the cracked part off evenly, following the curve of the spatula. It is still usable for awhile.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

I had 2 spatulas made to use in frying pans that can withstand up to 400 degrees F. Without fail, within a year of use, the plastic handle would break, and I'd have to buy a new spatula. I saved the good spatula ends, which didn't show any use at all, and searched and searched the house over for a substitute handle that would fit.

Ah ha! I finally spotted a long, plastic window shade plastic insert, used to give body to the bottom of the shade. I broke it in half, and sure enough, the broken pieces fit tightly into the spatulas, making them fully usable again! And I have more of these plastic inserts that I can use to replace these, if they break!

Recycling everything you can always saves some money, and also your time and energy. When my rubber spatulas get old and are no longer flexible, they go in a jar by the sink. Great to scrap plates, but even better for non-stick frying pans or pans that can easily scratch. They last a really long time and can be trimmed with scissors to any shape, helping get into the yucky sticky corners.

By sizzlesuccess from Poulsbo, WA