AdviceHome Improvement

Looking For A Laminate Alternative

I am appalled at the price of laminate. The piece I want and only need 4 feet of, I have to pay the 8 foot price! I bought a beautiful china hutch, I am taking the top off for the bathroom vanity. Now my question is, since the prices are so high, what about just polyresining the heck out of the top of the vanity? Would this work and last? Thanks in advance for any help.

Lori from Marion

As An alternative you could check flooring scraps of oilskin or such. We covered a beat up wooden desk with a piece in a big black and white squares pattern. It looks fun and is functional with the grid for a work surface. You could easily match or complement your floor or walls.

Buy a clear shower curtain. Place curtain over fabric or paper to be laminated. Cover this with wax paper. Iron on high heat until fused. Peel off wax paper.

Find a good quality marine sealer - one that's used on boats. It should be waterproof enough for your vanity. I'd think you'd need to apply several coats.