HealthDogs

Diagnosing Cataracts in Dogs

Category Health

I think my Shih Tzu has cataracts. She is 4 years old. Why does this happen? How much is it to fix? Is it even fixable?

By Rosalva

Yes, I know someone whose dog had the surgery. But 4 seems early to being cataracts.

What does your vet say? Rather than worry, I'd have her in for a check, and an estimate of treatment costs-it may turn out to be something very simple and inexpensive to treat.

I've read the symptoms of cataracts in pets are the same as in humans, and from the same causes-age, and/or congenital predisposition, and cumulative, prolonged exposure to too-bright sunlight.

Too, remember that 4 years of age in some breeds is the beginning of the senior years. I don't think a small breed like yours would be considered geriatric at four though.

Poor puppy, I hope things work out for her!

If they are indeed cataracts we can fix them at home with some work. Drops of raw flax oil (in fridge at health food store) then drops of gentle eye solution with 15% (one teaspoon pure MSM crystals for each ounce ) MSM in eye solution, Start 3 to 4 times a day. then 2 X a day then 1 X a day. 2 X week and so on. Keep it up even after cataract has come off. Keep it up for more than a month, depending on the cataract. Cataract comes off in layers.

I have no training only research and experience. I want no money. Too many people cannot afford surgery for their precious pet. I want this for the betterment of animals and not for anyone to profit. Beware of glaucoma. It gives a terrible migraine like headache. Vet can test if glaucoma is suspected. Sight can be saved sometimes if caught early and pressure is reduced.

Your dog can have congenital cataracts, meaning he was probably born with them. You need to have your vet check your dog because the earlier they are diagnosed they can be corrected with surgery.

There is absolutely no way you can treat cataracts with eye drops. Your dog will slowly lose vision until he goes blind if he is not treated with surgery.