Guinea PigsPets

Constipated Guinea Pigs

Category Guinea Pigs

My Guinea pig has severe constipation and bladder prolapse since one month ago. She hardly eats and is in a lot of pain. The vet has given her a few enemas, but this is temporary relief. He now suggests a purse string (a suture to the opening to prevent the prolapse). Please help. I would like some advice urgently. Thanks.

Alina

My cat is constantly constipated and it's me with the prolapsed bladder. LOL. Anyhow, the vet gave me something to give the cat called Lactulose Syrup. Every morning I put a few drops on her food and it helps her pass stool without pain. By the way, I went to the pharmacy and found out I can buy Lactulose from them for pennies compared to the vet.

As for the prolapse, I can identify with the pain however my gynecologist has mentioned nothing about a "purse string". I was told if it got worse they could stitch the prolapse back in place by placing it in a basket. However, I am not related in any way to Guinea Pigs...so docs might do something different. Hope the advice and the humor have helped. Flitter