Preserving Dried Roses

Category Floral
Once you have dried your roses, you will want to store them in such a way as to preserve them either for future use in crafts or as mementos. This is a guide about preserving dried roses.

I have a girlfriend who saves all her rose bouquets from her husband from gift giving occasions. When the roses dry, she'll gently take the arrangement out to her garage, set it on some newspaper and thoroughly spray the floral arrangement with a good holding hair spray.

She allows it to dry and then takes back into the house. She puts hers up high so nothing will bother the vase and arrangement. I've only seen 1 of her few arrangements and it's almost as beautiful as the day she got the beautiful arrangement a few years ago for their anniversary!

By Terri H.

My boyfriend got me roses for our first Valentine's Day and I want to keep them. I'm drying them by hanging them upside down now.

I saw somewhere that you can use a spray of 50/50 Elmer's glue and warm water. Has this been successful for anyone?

Answers

Best Answer

I have kept my white rose wedding bouquet from 1997. I didn't use anything to preserve them, just hung them upside down until entirely dry. They are very old looking now but still relatively together after over 20 years.

The worst thing is that there is no way to dust the bouquet without damaging the flowers.

Another lovely idea I have heard is to dry the petals of any fragrant flowers to make potpourri.

Congratulations on your first Valentine's Day together. May you get many more bouquets in the future.

I have been drying roses for years. I use them in different ways. My problem is the microscopic insects (?) that powder them. I have never been able to use them for more than a year. Even storing them in airtight containers doesn't help. I once pressed some roses and other plants for framed pictures. They went to powder after a few months also. How can I prevent this?

B from Deltona, FL

Answers

By Graycrab (Guest Post)

I save dried roses for long time. I simply spray them every few weeks with a cheap hairspray. They don't powder or get buggy. I have some now that I have had for at lest 5 years

I spray mine with hair spray, they seem to last forever.

By Roni (Guest Post)

I haave been collecting dries roses forever! I have about 10 dozen that are in perfect condition and almost 8 years old. I hang them and then arrange them. After that I spray them with firm hairspray and they still look amazing!

Hey Leona, I sprayed all my dried flowers with hair spray too. I do agreed, this method works really well for all types of dried flowers.

Do you have to use hair spray? My husband have me roses for our anniversary this year, Feb 19, and I hung them upside down and preserved them.

I still have them today and they look pretty as ever. But will they last for year's without the hair spray.

How do you preserve dried roses?

Answers

You can iron them between two sheets of waxed paper.

Spray them with hairspray. Keeps their shape and colour. Also hang them upside down.

I guess it depends on what you wanted to preserve them for (like long range goals).

I used to use a rubber coated tie pack and wrap them around the long stems and hang them from a coat hanger in my cellar (which is cool and dry). After a few months, they would dry out and I used to use them in dried flower arrangements.

When I used to do potpourri in the 80s, I would de-petal them all, lay them on paper towels (layer of petals, then a layer of towels, etc.) and let them sit under a heavy book for a few months until they were flat and dry. Then I would toss them in with the cinnamon sticks or whatever other dried item I was mixing up that month.

I know there are other methods and I am sure YouTube is full of videos of how to do all of them. These are just my go to methods.

Blessings!

If your roses are already dried out you may not be able to do a lot with them but if they are still fresh then there are several ways to preserve them.
You already have several good suggestions but I have used Silica gel and my daughter has used glycerin and these work okay but roses may fade after a few months no matter how you preserve them.

You can check out all of these methods at your local crafts stores - Michael's or Jo Ann's have lots of information and supplies.

Placing flowers in a large "throw away" book is the easiest method and works as well as most other methods. Just place flowers in between pages and place some heavy items on top. Keep checking and you can change pages if there is still moisture.

Here are a couple of sites that have interesting ideas.

dengarden.com/.../how-can-i-preserve-a-rose

www.hunker.com/.../add-to-cart-love-for-your-laundry...

Glycerin: Glycerin is inexpensive and usually pretty easy to find. Check out the soap making section of your local crafts store, or the skin- or hair-care sections of your pharmacy.