Sippy Cups for Sick Children

When a child gets sick and needs to sip liquids slowly, there is nothing better for this than a sippy cup. They can't wolf down the drink so it is better and gentler for their tummies. Also some of them are non-spill too. A perfect combination for a child recuperating from a virus or bug who is in bed and could fall asleep at any moment. I would watch them closely, nevertheless, some of them can take off the lids.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

My youngest (father of 2) son brought me a nonspillable sippy cup when I was in the hospital following knee replacements, one on Wed. and the next the following Mon. I was not moving much and this was very, very much appreciated!

Hm-mmm, don't you think it depends upon:

1) The age of the patient. (I've never known a child who is ill to "wolf" anything down, and it would most often be hard to get them to consume food or drink.)

2) The type of illness. (If a virus or bacterial infection, one should use disposables and replace them daily, as in the hospitals, to prevent re-infections as they begin to get well.)

3) The material the sippy cup is made from: (If plastic, as are most of the cups, it can literally absorb the very virus/ bacteria into the cup and sit there until the next time the cup is used, especially after being washed in a hot dishwasher which expands the pores of the plastic and traps the 'germs' so they can multiply. When the cup cools down, many trapped 'germs' were not killed, so the risk actually becomes greater for reinfection at another time of the year. Tossing it after the sickness is of some value, but has already trapped other 'germs' in the mouthpiece and seams of the molded plastic design.)

The basic idea is loving and caring in principle, but the sanitation of and preventive technique is lost. Sorry. I suggest instead that you prepare to buy disposables at the lowest prices, $.99 Stores, Dollar General, or that kind

of discount store. It's more than worth it and saves RX, more medical visits/ fees, and the contamination of other family members. While you are at it, try buying a container of cheap disposable toothbrushes and change them every two days until well. You'll love the end results and fast healing time, and lower costs. Pass it on to others, please. God bless you. "-"