Getting Mascara Off Without Burning Eyes

I've always had long, dark lashes. Way back in the 60's I used to wear a lot of mascara and gave no thought to what I did to my skin while trying to remove it. Now that I'm in my early 60's, the years of tugging and scrubbing really shows around my eyes. Regretfully, I can't afford surgery. In an attempt to do no more damage, I rarely use mascara, only on special occasions, maybe a dozen times a year or so. I love the look, but getting it off is still an ordeal. Everything burns my eyes, even baby oil. Any ideas?

By Erika from Tallahassee, FL

I don't wear makeup often but when I do I use baby shampoo (Johnsons)to remove my eye makeup. I have never had any problems with it burning my eyes. Make sure you use a good brand though, because I have used a generic brand that did burn.

Ever since I started wearing mascara (eons ago), I always have taken my mascara off with Petroleum Jelly. Not only does it take off the mascara easily, but it also conditions your eyelashes and the skin around your eyes. I purchase a 8oz jar at the $Dollar Store.

I will always wear mascara, short of not having any eyelashes (I am in my mid 50's). :)Smile on that. If you want to buy something specially made for make-up removal, I suggest Neutrogena Make Up Remover wipes. In a blue and white package that is smaller, but looks like baby wipes. Very gentle. Does not sting and works for your whole face. Can get them most anywhere.

If it is not waterproof mascara, you may try to use soothing lotion for eyes such as "Dacryoserum". I do not know if you will find it in the US. Use any other lotion special for eyes.

I use "olive oil soap" from health store.

Use baby wipes for sensitive skin. It works like magic!

Don't blame yourself too much. You might still have the problem if you never wore mascara. I have worn it for 50 years and don't have that problem. I still wear it and if they bury me without it I will sit up in my casket, and make them put it on. Use a good moisturizer and keep wearing that mascara.

A good way to remove mascara without tugging is to close your eye and gently press a cotton ball with makeup remover to it for a few seconds, then carefully wipe away. Waterproof mascara is harder to remove so stick with the regular kind. If you can find products for sensitive skin try those too. I had to give up on eye makeup myself a few years ago as it always seems to irritate my eyes anymore. I think sometimes we just develop a sensitivity to these things!

If mascara is not waterproof, I use aloe vera gel to remove mine. A jar lasts forever, can be used for several things, is relatively cheap, works well, actually soothes the eyes if you get it in, and is extremely healing. Plus, once you put it on the lashes, it stays put softening the mascara, until you take it off.

I use plain unscented petroleum jelly or Vaseline. Wipe off with soft tissue. I have severely sensitive skin and every fragrance burns it. So I am very limited on what I can use to remove makeup. I only wear make up on occasion. This also has the advantage of softening your eye area.

I use a non-petroleum jelly that I get at my local health food store. No petroleum products used on my skin, no burning, and smooth skin around my eyes.

An easy no burning, no irritation way of removing mascara with ease is lotion. Wet a washcloth and put a small amount of lotion on one area of it, gently wipe away mascara with ease. I submitted this in tips for this week please try it and then rate me with a thumbs up. Thanks!