BodySkin Care
To Top

Covering Up Skin Blemishes Under Arms

Category Body

My underarms have extremely dark skin, skin tags, and cysts under each of them. I've spoken to my doctor about this, but he wasn't much help.


I graduate next year, and I was wondering if there's any way I can cover this up for like one day. It's really embarrassing, and I don't want people to see it. Plus I'm really self conscious about it. If there's no way I could cover it. Do you think wearing a cute cardigan over my grad/prom dress would be okay? Or would wearing a cardigan or light jacket, be too casual for graduation and prom?

By epiclykyla from Boston, MA

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

August 10, 20090 found this helpful

My doctor was no help with this either, I have the same skin issue (from the sound of it). My mom did some research for this and suggested that I start taking a zinc supplement. It has helped. Unfortunately I am scarred, but it seems to have calmed things down considerably. Good Luck!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

August 11, 20090 found this helpful

Have you tried fade cream? It won't do anything for the bumps but it will definitely help for the darkened skin. I used Palmer's Fade Cream on my face and it really helped. I had over pigmentation (darkening of the skin) and acne scars that were very dark. It really made a huge difference. I'm not sure if it would effect your deodorant, but even if you only use it over night w/out deodorant you would probably see a difference. Hope this helps.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 12, 20090 found this helpful

I bought a shawl that matched my grad dress for my grad last year. You may also have something called mollescum contageosum (or something close to that). There is a cream for them, my cousin had them all over her face but only one of them scarred. As long as the shawl is formal looking and matches your dress it should be fine. Maybe seeing a dermatologist would be a good idea to make sure they are not something bad. Congrats on the graduation.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

August 12, 20090 found this helpful

I concur with the zinc remedy. It will help a lot. Use a moisturizer with retinol A or something that will help take off the layers of skin slowly. After a few months, your skin will look better, not perfect though. The darkening of underarms can mean a low thyroid. You should have the dr. test it. Skin tags can be removed fairly painlessly, however, I would take the zinc and clear up the cysts first to avoid spreading an infection.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 12, 20090 found this helpful

I agree, too, with the zinc remedy. You could also use a foundation and powder under your arms. Or better, find a cropped jacket (you know the kind, the ones that come just below your bust) or sweater asap that goes well with the dress, then sew on beads and/or sequins to dress it up. You could also shorten the sleeves so you aren't going to faint from heat at prom.

Good luck!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

August 12, 20090 found this helpful

If this were for me or my child, I would seek the

advice of a board certified dermatologist. I'm not

so concerned about the skin tags, but I am concerned about the cysts which can mean several underlying problems that could lead to much large

concerns. Some deodorants still affect many people in really bad ways. Even though all the carcinogens

are supposed to have been removed from today's

products, I think we can all agree that it's simply

not true in all cases. It sounds to me as though

the skin pores are becoming clogged with something and that something is most likely the

deodorant you're using. Get yourself to a different

doctor and by all means, don't stop until you get

some help. No young woman should have to deal

with this. Just my opinion, but I have a firm basis

for it. Good Luck to you.

All the best,

Julia in Coconut Creek, FL

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

August 12, 20090 found this helpful

I agree that you should see a doctor if you can. For the one day, see if you can find a waterproof concealer...if you're in or around Boston contact cosmetic/spa places or dermatologists that have cosmetics in their Yellow Page ads.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 12, 20090 found this helpful

I would try to buy a nice cardigan or other nice form of blouse or jacket to put over my dress for the day. Hey, lots of us have certain skin problems and if it makes you feel better to cover it up then by all means do so. If you don't feel good about leaving it uncovered then by all means find a sleeved dress or a dress with a light jacket to match.

Also, try and get a second opinion from another doctor that could possibly help you....good luck hun.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care BodyAugust 9, 2009
Close up of an armpit with dark marks
Remedies for Dark Underarms
Woman in tank top applying deodorant
Deodorant Makes My Underarms Itchy
Loveseat Arm
Re-Fluff Sofa and Loveseat Arms
A girl with a jar of honey.
How to Use Honey for Skin Blemishes
Back to School Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/08/19 22:38:39 in 764 msecs. ⛅️️ ⚡️
Loading Something Awesome!