MiscellaneousMake Your Own

Extracting Citronella Juice from a Plant

I know that citronella keeps away mosquitoes. I have access to lots of citronella plants. How do I make citronella juice or extract? I want to mix it with a regular bar of bath soap (how do I melt the soap?). I would also like to mix it with candles to make citronella candles? I hope the process of extracting citronella juice would be simple enough to make in my own kitchen. Thanks.

marangman from Malaysia

You can just puree it in a blender and use some of it in the soap. If you are not making homemade soap, grate the store-bought bars into a pot, add some of the citronella puree and some water, melt the soap down, pour into molds, harden for a day or two (depending on how much water you used maybe more), turn out and allow to finish hardening. If you like, you can trim the bars so they look nice, otherwise, they're ready to use.