WallpaperDecorating

Wallpapering an Old Refrigerator

I want to know if anyone knows about using wallpaper to spruce up an old refrigerator. I need all the info I can find! I have re-done my kitchen, but can't afford a new fridge just yet. Thanks!

Janet

I think "Contact" paper would be better than wallpaper. It sticks really well and comes in lots of colors or designs. I used it in my bathroom to lighten it up...had really dark cabinets below the sink. I put an almond color on the doors and it looked fine.

That's what I was just thinking .. contact paper! I've cut it carefully and used it for trim on a door frame before, too .. lots of uses for it! :->

I have seen the Contact paper used alot. Wallpaper might work if you have a fridge that is smooth. You might want to sand it a little bit to make the wallpaper adhere better. Wouldn't work on mine, which is textured.

Janet,

I have seen on Trading Spaces and other like shows where they have painted appliances such as refrigerators and stoves...I think there are paints especially for appliances. Spray paint and others. Check out Lowes, Walmart, Menards, Home Depot...etc...and ask. They looked brand new when they were done.

Yes, wallpaper will work ... many years ago I did my old avacado green 'fridge and friends all said what a great idea and it looked good. It lasted many years until it just died from old age! This was long before I had ever heard of anyone doing this!

I used a rough textured vertical strip pattern in a white; this makes for easy matching without the seams showing. At this time I also removed the dishwasher panel and spray painted that white to match!

I used wallpaper paste, rather than wet the prepasted wallpaper. Take your time removing some of the hardware and have patience and it will turn out nice. What have you to lose?

I would stay away from using contact paper it is much harder to work with and the matching seams would show. It also stretches and gets air bubbles too.

I would think contact paper would be easier to try than wallpaper, and I've even seen a silver metallic looking adhesive paper at Wal-mart, for that stainless steel look. On a decorating show, I saw a crew spray paint a shabby looking refrigerator with appliance epoxy spray paint, and it came out looking pretty good. I have seen this product in Wal-mart, and I think it is made by Rustoleum, called Appliance Epoxy.

truerblue

I am also wondering about covering my fridge but I live in a rented apartment and I must be able to return the fridge to its original condition. Would contact paper peel off later, does anyone know?

I used contact paper to totally cover an old freezer, to make it look like it was a cabinet. It worked out just great. My husband was very impressed.