General AdviceConsumer Advice

Can Black Mold Have Skunk Type Smell?

We've found black mold inside the drywall, and in the carpet in our house. We've never smelled a musty, typical moldy smell. We've had a strong, skunk type smell. Does this occur with mold?

mcfrissa from Whiteriver, Arizona

By Harriet (Guest Post)

I wouldn't worry about the smell. Just get the dry wall and carpet out of your house asap. Black mold can be very toxic and have lasting health effects, especially for children, the elderly and those with allergies. If the mold is on a washable, non-absorbent surface you can wash it with a bleach solution. Anything that is absorbent needs to be removed. Before you replace your dry wall and carpet, clean the floors, beams, etc, with bleach solution.

By Robert (Guest Post)

You need professional cleaners for black mold. They use special face masks so they don't breath in the fumes that black mold emits.

If you bleach it yourself then protect yourself and others in the house with face masks. Black mold is dangerous to your health.

I have had the exact same issue. Yet I can't find a mold expert who says he/she knows anything about this very pungent and awful skunk smell. It's frustrating!

Hi just wondering has anyone figured out what this smell is? I have a lingering smell in my bedroom for the past month or more.. It began suddenly and is just not going away..the room is spotless and has been turned upside down to try and figure out where this smell is coming from but there's no explanation.

I can only describe it as a weed/herby type smell!!