New Dentures Painful

It has been one week since they pulled all my teeth and fitted me with dentures. I am in so much pain I can't stand it. So I took the bottoms out. My top ones are fitting OK and there's only a little pain, but those bottoms, wow. I can't take it. I heard that you're not supposed to take them out. Why? I go back to the dentist tomorrow. I'm going to see if they can make them fit better, or is it too late? Did I mess it up by taking them out?

By B. Carter

Best Answer

Call your dentist. It often takes a couple adjustments before they are comfortable. Sometimes there may be a rough spot in the lining that is causing pain. I recently had my lower denture relined, and when I got them back there was one place that was very rough and caused pain whenever I bit down. I went back and they sanded the roughness out, and they are now more comfortable than they have ever been. I didn't even have to make an appointment. I just dropped by the office and they worked me in. Only took about 5 minutes.
Harlean from Arkansas

Best Answer

It takes about two weeks for your gum tissue to toughen up from being rubbed on constantly. Use some Oragel to numb the area until you get used to it. It will go away, I promise.

Are you doing salt water rinses to heal the gums? Do this with denture removed, warm as u can stand it water and about 1/2 tsp salt. Again have to agree with other posters, healing takes time and sometimes there is a rough spot.

Try not to remove the dentures except to rinse your mouth and the denture after eating, then put them back asap

I imagine your gums are swollen and soon they'll be back to their normal size. Warm salt water works wonders on all kinds of mouth problems. And ibuprofen should help with inflammation.

Health & Beauty AdviceApril 16, 2012
🎄
🍂