PaintingHome Improvement

Fixing Paint Blisters

What makes paint bubble or blister right after painting? How can I correct it?

Judy from OH

I've had that happen to me recently. I don't know exactly why it happened, but I poked it with a needle and pushed it down. It seemed to stick just fine. If it doesn't, you can always slap a little more on top of it. I usually leave a bit of paint out in a plastic tub for a few days after I finish painting just for little touch-ups like this. Good luck!

By Missouri Friend (Guest Post)

Common causes can be latex paint over oil based, or a surface that was a bit dirty,

best procedure? Sand it off, prepare the surface with the appropriate sealer and paint it again. If you are dealing with an old surface..... ALWAYS check for lead content before sanding. An inexpensive test stick is available at your paint dealer.

By Jared (Guest Post)

it could be several things making your paint blister...the easiest problem would be that you havent used the right type of primer, talk to a paint specialist and get the right one. another cause could be air and moisture movement through the wallboard, make sure the wall underneath is sealed properly from the outside elements if its an outside wall, using vapour barrier...etc.

Hope this helps in some way...i think its a lot easier than breaking each bubble with a pin and touching it up.