Plant Tomatoes Horizontally

Locals in my area recommend planting tomatoes on their sides rather than vertically for better developed roots systems and healthier, stronger plants. I dug individual trenches for each plant, added fertilizer, compost and a few tablespoons of sugar for sweetening the flavor of the fruit. The young plants went in horizontally with tops only laying on the ground.

In less than a day, the greenery was pointing up to the sun. The plants are so strong that they survived a major deer grazing without missing a proverbial beat! Although I started my garden late this year, I'm very impressed with the health strength and fruit setting on these 29 plants. I thank the N. GA locals for their sage advice!

By maria r. from Blue Ridge, GA

Is it recommended to plant green peppers on their sides, too?

Well that is a new one on me. Never heard of doing that. Too late for this year but will have to try it next year. Did the GA locals recommend the sugar too or was that your idea?

Home and Garden Gardening GrowingJuly 11, 2011
🎂
🎃
🌻