Removing Wax Build Up on Tile Floors

I want to remove the built up of wax on my tile floors without having to rent a machine. From dragging furniture, and people dragging their feet, the tile has light places and it looks awful.

Linda

Best Answer

Do you know somwone with a small floor polisher. Any brand as long as the bottom is sealed. Open windows and pour straight ammonia on the area to be stripped, turn the polisher loose(with the stiff bristle brushes)and mop up the gunk. Works like a charm. Be sure to move any plants from the room too. The fumes can kill them.

Best Answer

Go to a Lowe's or department store or something like that, buy a gallon of floor stripper. With a bucket you don't mind to use, mix water and stripper together. Use a mop to put the mixture on the tile, be generous with the mixture on the floor and be careful it will be very slippery! Let it set for 5 minutes or so, then use an SOS pad or scrubber pad on the end of a broom handle or mop handle and scrub, it will come up. If you do not get it up, there will be yellowish spots, which is remaining wax.

Ammonia is a good wax remover, but make sure to vent well while using.

My grand-daughter swears by those Mr. Clean magic erasers. They cost $1. each. I tried one on my linoleum tile to get the black marks, it works. My grand-daughter used them for wax build-up & she thought they were wonderful. Said you don't even have to scrub hard.

We've always been told to clean tiles with a little vinegar in a gallon of water. I'm curious why there is wax on the tiles (please don't be offended by this). How many years of buildup is there?

this is in an old grocery store and under shelves along a wall and edges

It was waxed over 6 years ago and needless to say it looks terrible. There are a few spots that are the original color of the tile but the majority of the floors are yellow. Please help!!

Anonymous

My cleaning lady used a product on my matte tiles that looks glossy. I tried steam cleaning, and ut is leaving whitish marks. I am going to try Magic erasers and/or vinegar in water.

remove wax from old vinle floor