CakesBaking

Basketball Themed Birthday Cake

I am throwing my 11 year old son a birthday party and he wants a basketball theme cake. does anyone have any ideas what to make the basketball hoop out of? I am making the cake myself to save money. Thanks

Sandy from Bluff City, TN

Shoestring licorice? You could use thin icing to change the color, but it would work for tying together to make a net.

Question: Do you want the basketball net to use for games or do you want the net as part of the cake? If as part of the cake, I would weave a net from shoestring licorice, then cut out the center from a appropriately colored paper plate.

Lay the woven net on a large cake plate, put the paper rim on top and set the basketball shaped cake in the center(as if it is going through the hoop)