General AdviceConsumer Advice

Eliminating Static in Fleece Blanket

Last year I purchased a poly blend microfleece blanket. While it is soft and very warm, I have a major problem, static. This blanket develops so much static that whenever I move in bed or shift the covers, sparks fly to the point that I have wondered if there is a chance of fire! Also the static noise is loud and it shocks me; all this wakes me up all night.

I have washed it in fabric softener, I have rinsed it in vinegar, I have rubbed Bounce sheets over it, I have washed and air dried, and I have sprayed it with Static Guard, but these remedies last about 5 minutes and the static is back, or they simply did not work.

Is there a way to get rid of this problem? Or do I need to buy a new blanket? If so, what type, fabric, or brand can I buy that will not develop static? My sheets and coverlet are 100% cotton and I like to put the blanket between the top sheet and the coverlet; I have tried it on top of the coverlet, but it slides off the bed and still has static.

In the past I pulled up my old heavy bedspread and used it as my winter blanket, but it finally bit the dust and the new coverlet I have is pretty but way too thin for warmth. I need to keep the heat down at night to save $$ and need a warm blanket. Good down comforters were way too expensive for my pocketbook. Thanks!

By Fran

I have a fleece blanket that has the same problem. However, being the headboard of my bed is against a heat register, no matter which wall I put it on, I rarely cover up. Therefore I usually have the top sheet and blanket folded way down with my legs and feet on top of them. I notice the electricity when I am stripping my bed to launder the sheets and remaking it. I spray it with static guard each time, I also spray the mattress and mattress pad, etc., but the next time strip the bed it is the same old "snap, crackle, and pop."

Have you thought about using a duvet (comforter) cover? Insert the static generating blanket in the cover, zip, snap, or join the velcro closure, and you should be ok.

You can make a cover by seaming two bed sheets together on the two long sides and the pretty end of the top sheet, leaving the bottom open for inserting the blanket/duvet/comforter.

I've made several. I use whatever closures I have salvaged from worn clothing, lol-buttons, snaps, velcro...you could leave the bottom end open but that might defeat the purpose because it sounds to me as though this slippery-static generating blanket would slide right out of the cover.

Try pinning safety pins on each corner of the blanket.. it should discharge the static!