SaladsRecipes

Wilted Lettuce

Category Salads

Wilted Lettuce I

Ingredients

• 1 slice bacon
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup vinegar
  • 1/3 cup water

Directions

Fry bacon until crisp. Crumble bacon and put back into the bacon grease. Beat together sugar, egg, vinegar, and water. Add to bacon grease and cook to thicken. Let cool. Add to lettuce. Any garden type lettuce can be used.

By Robin

Wilted Lettuce II

Ingredients

• 1 med.- lg. head lettuce, torn
  • 3 strips bacon, fried until golden brown
  • 2 small onions, diced

Dressing:

• 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp. sugar
  • bacon grease

Directions

Add water to dressing ingredients to make 3/4 cup. Add crumbled bacon and onions to liquid, also pinch of salt and pepper. Boil. Pour over lettuce and toss.

By Robin from Washington, IA

By Mary (Guest Post)

My grandmother and mother used to make this when I was a child. It was so good!

By Jordan (Guest Post)

oh..i thought this was about solving a problem with lettuce that's not as crisp as it used to be...well...you take the lettuce and soak it in lukewarm-warm water for a couple minutes (trust me) and then you take another bowl of cold water with ice in it, and "shock" the lettuce in the cold water. It closes up the pores of the greens, locking in the water, leaving you with crisp greens!

This was one of my favorite foods when I was little! We used version II and any type of leaf lettuce, this works better and tastes better than if it is done with head lettuce, such as iceburg lettuce. Also, the sugar can be left out or reduced if you like, it's simply according to your personal tastes.

My mother also used to slice radishes into it after we added the dressing (bacon grease, etc.) for a bit of color, and also gave it a little extra "bite". She didn't always add the radish, and sometimes even left the onion out, it just depended on what she had at the time and how the mood struck her. But whicever way she did it though, it was so GOOD!

By Marsanna Ross (Guest Post)

My mom use to add mustard greens to it. Sooo good!