Take Care Of Yourself When Handling Old Patterns

Keep check on your health. I love to crochet and all the old pattern books/magazines excite me when I would find them at garage sales, then eBay. Wow! I am in heaven. They are musty, mildewy, who knows what has crawled over, in and through them? Some of the books you don't even want to touch, but if you're like me, you can't keep your fingers off or out of them.

When I was done looking at them I had to wash my hands right away, wondering what had I really touched. What I did was to wet a wash cloth, put it in a bowl and, instead of licking my fingers to turn the pages, (like so many of us do) now I touch the wash cloth, then turn the pages.

Hope this has helped those who like all the old stuff out there. So let's take care of ourselves as we enjoy!

By moonbeam from WI

That's a good idea, I'll have to remember to do that!

Before you go through them, you can also put them in a plastic bag & stick them in your freezer for a day or two. That's what I do to get rid of the mildewy,dusty, musty smells & kill any creepy crawlies that might be in the pages!

Ok mom! I love all those old books and magazines and patterns too. Can't get enough of them. I have Workbasket magazines from the '50s that I love to go through - how did women have time for all that intricate work back then?

You're right. We should be careful, and I'll try, from now on. Aren't those sweaters from the '40s something.

Totally agree with freezer remedy, it will even kill maggots. If you will be looking at or using the books (or pages) often you can buy sheet protectors & 3 ring binders.

Carefully separate pages of book(s), insert one page per sheet protector & put in binder keeping them in order. This is a long term fix for dirty pages. I would wear gloves while doing this if I were concerned about dirt.