BabyParenting

Tips for a Mom Expecting Twins

My niece ("But I only wanted two kids") is expecting twins. She also has a two year old. Does anyone have any information where she can find a web site or a group for helpful tips about preparing/anticipating for twins?

She is really happy about it, just completely surprised and overwhelmed at the moment.

"Mike"

I, too, had twins. And, the best piece of advice I received was get help into the house. You take care of the 2 year old during the day and let the help take care of the babies. When they first come home, the babies aren't quite so concerned with the person feeding, bathing, dressing, changing diapers as is the 2 year old. You can manage when the twins are about 6-8 months old because then they at least have a bit of "amusing" themselves. My Mother was a workaholic and sent a check each month for 6 months. And, this wonderful Mother of 7 came and loved my babies. She wanted parochial education for her children and her husband didn't agree so this is how she paid their tuition and the extras. And, there are Mothers of Twins in almost every city/town in the US.

Enjoy them and don't worry if the house is not always clean and picked up...it happens to us all.

There is a group called Mothers of Multiples. Have her type it in online. They have supoort groups and playgroups and are supposed to be excellent.

I have two year old twins and an 8 year old - all boys. I can very much relate to how she feels. I can still see my husband slowly sliding off his chair as the ultra sound tech announced it was twins! The first few months are the hardest. I will be honest... I thought I would never get through. But talking to other moms who had been through what I had been through helped allot! It gets easier as time goes on and in some ways they are easier than my single because they have each other to keep them busy. But in many ways they are so very much harder. It means twice the dypers, twice the mess, and for me now it meens two children constantly running in two different directions getting into twice as much trouble! I often tell mothers who have one and ask me what it's like to have twins..."after you dress, bathe, feed, dyper, etc... your child today... go back and do it all over again! That's what it's like!" However, I could not imagine now there just being one. They truely are twice the blessing! They are amazing little boys! I also can not forget to say Thank GOD for my Mom. Who listens, laughs, and cheers me on - even on my hardest of days! She will need one of them! Most of all, when I think I have it so bad I think of my friend who has triplets! If she would like someone to talk to who has .. and still is there. Please have her email me at gonewiththetwins04@comcast.net

Just found this post, but if your niece is still shell-shocked and seeking sites where she can find twin-pregnancy and parenting support, she is welcome to check out the site I host, www.Twinsights.com.

There are also GREAT twin mom (and mom to be!) message boards at www.Twinstuff.com and www.sheknows.com. TwinsMagazine.com is another resource to check in addition to the www.NOMOTC.org suggestion (Moms of Multiples Clubs) listed above.

Please extend my fondest congrats! My twosome are now barely four, and the entertainment and challenges and fun to date have been unsurpassed!

best-

Cheryl Lage

www.Twinsights.com