Save Warranty Information For Home Improvement Products

We recently had to redo the plumbing in our bathroom which included replacing leaky fixtures. Unfortunately the faucet in the bathtub began to leak after only 6 months. We discovered the leak was probably due to the contractor soldering a part that wasn't meant to be.

We headed to our local Lowes to get a new part and were instructed to call the manufacturer because they would send us the part free under the company's lifetime warranty (The faucet was made by Moen by the way.)

We were skeptical but it's true! They sent us the replacement part even though we told them how the damage occurred! So save that warranty information, it can save you a bundle.

By Katie in NY

I, too, keep my warranty information in file folders in a file cabinet. For numerous small kitchen appliances, I put all of the warranty information and instruction booklets in one folder marked "small kitchen appliances". Saves on making so many folders. For 'outside tools', same thing.

Other items like: refrigerator, gas fire place logs, heating and air conditioning system, etc. will get their own folders. If I have work orders or repairs made to a product, I store the ticket information in the folder. I do this for the pest control company too....name the folder and put their tickets for annual inspections, spraying, etc. in the folder.

Anonymous

We put and our warranties, instructions, etc. each in a glad bag and label what it is, then file alphabetically in a banker's storage box and put in bottom of a closet.