White Bread In Meatballs?

A few months ago I heard someone say that they put white bread soaked in milk in their meatballs and I can't for the life of me remember where I heard that. Does anyone have a recipe like that?

Noreen from Dunmore

A recipe that I have used calls for using white bread soaked in water. I would think that milk could be used as a substitute for the water. The liquid is just being used to keep the meatballs moist & tender.

Italian Meatballs

4 slices white bread
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
2 eggs
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp crushed oregano
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
dash black pepper

Soak bread in water 2-3 minutes, then squeeze out excess water. Combine soaked bread with remaining ingredients, mixing well. Form into small balls. Brown slowly in olive oil.

By Barb (Guest Post)

My Yiayia (Greek for Grandmother) made her meatballs that way all the time. They were called keftethes (greek meatballs). delicious

By debbie in sc (Guest Post)

my husband who is 1/2 sicilian always makes the meatballs this way, as his grandmother did. i used to use store bought bread crumbs. however just this week i made spaghetti and meatballs for dinner and realized i was out of bread crumbs.

i took 2 slices of white bread, tore off the crusts and soaked the bread in milk and then crushed it in my hands until it was paste-like and crumbled it into the meatball mixture. i made the best, juciest meatballs i have ever made, so i am now a convert.

The bread and milk seems to work better with the eggs to hold everything together when cooking....my father used this recipe(but with just a pinch or Oregano) in his restaurant in Little Italy in Ontario, Canada. Too much Oregano can be very overpowering for some people.
Millicent

Thank you all so much for your input!! I never knew it was that popular!!

I will be trying it this weekend for Fathers Day for my fathers dinner.

Also try uncooked oats!

By Ruth (Guest Post)

My mother used white bread and milk also in meatloaf and meatbaLLS. I feel it was done at a time when meat processing was different than it is now. Coulld be wrong-still delicious, also try raisins in your neatballs. great way to get them to eat dried fruit. My neighbor used to cook them that way

By Joyce (Guest Post)

Hi Noreen, my name is Joyce and I am 59 years old. I just wanted to tell you that my mother always made her meatballs with white bread soaked in milk and then squeezed out. I, to this day, still make my meatballs the same way. As a matter of fact just last sunday (June 10, 2007) I made meatballs this way. Sometimes tho, I will just wet the bread with water and squeeze it out and put it into my meat mixture. Hope this helped you out somewhat.

Enjoy............Joyce (from Ct.)

Hi, I soak my white bread in milk and 1/2 hamburg and 1/2 pork then add my egg and my onions peppers etc and roll my roll my meat balls and soak in my sauce for about 3 hours on low. The flavor from the sauce gets in the meatballs. They're very moist and flavorful.

Food and Recipes Recipes MeatsJune 13, 2007
🎉
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf94589618.tip.html