WindowsCleaning

Smears on Windows After Cleaning

When I wash my windows and later in the day the sun shines through, the window has smear marks. I have tried various cleaners and I still get smears which are hard to remove. Any suggestions?

Jean from Palm Coast, FL

When I do windows I add an amount of rubbing alcohol to the window cleaner and wipe the windows dry using newspapers. It works for me and maybe it will work for you as well.

Jean, First buy some microfiber towels, rinse and wring them out in hot water-NOTHING ELSE- start wiping down your windows--rinse and wring every so often--do your stainless steel appliances and anything else you can find--the best tip I ever received...when you wash these towels remember-no fabric softner--do your car windows too, joanie

I find using either window cleaner or vinegar to wash windows. Use old newspapers to clean with, will not leave any lint behind. From another poster she suggested to do the out side windows from left to right and the inside windows from top to botton, that way you will know what side has the streak on it. hope this helps.

My girl friend is a cross between Erma Bombeck(for those of us who remember her)and Maxine.When asked how she cleans windows her reply was"I don't,if I can see out them that means they can't see in" hello!

Use newsprint. I read that there is something in the ink that works and so I tried it and it does a very nice job.

Use a squeegee with soapy water on outside windows. I have used either Mr. Clean or Dawn or any dishsoap in the wash water. No smears.

I use straight rubbing alcohol, I pour it into a spray bottle. It's streak free, shines, dries quick, and is cheap.
It's also great to use on chrome fixtures in your bathroom and kitchen.

I use a shammy for all my glass and windows, they work great and no streaks

Wash with warm soapy water, rinse with plain water and I dry mine with coffee filters. I used to use newspaper but was getting the black ink everywhere I touched with my fingers.