One Dog Food for Older and Younger Dogs

I have a 13 year old Boxer (who thinks she is 5, very playful still) and I have 2 Frenchies, 8 months and 1 year old. Buying three different kinds of food is breaking me. All three of them seem to hate dry food. Is there anything out there all three of them can eat, or is there a homemade food I can make and give to all three of my females?

Help please!

By Shery from Inglewood, CA

When you can afford it, it's nice to have a senior food, an adult food and a puppy food. I usually just do weight management for all though, as that is the biggest issue in my house, and that usually has the highest amounts of protein so you get more for your money.

The different levels of protein, carbs and fat are more pronounced in dry food; not so much wet, since it's mostly broth. I like it for hydration more than the main meal. What brand of dry have you tried, some are so much more palatable than others, especially if you're buying the cheapest you can find. Some are 100% guaranteed so if your dogs don't like it, you can return what's left for a full refund. If you do homemade, you will have to add vitamins and monitor the amount of protein etc, it's a lot of work and not cheap either.

There is too much being put into kibble these days to warrant feeding any of your dogs kibble or even canned food for that matter. I have an ACD and 2 Pugs. The easy answer is, feed them people food. I have a crockpot and put whatever is on sale, chicken thighs (bone in, skin off), hamburger, pork. You name it, along with veggies (no grains). My dogs are so healthy the vet doesn't get it and we have no teeth cleaning issues. Those come from carbs and grains.

There are lots of homecooking recipes on the web, just Google it and your dogs will be the winner. Bottom line is they can eat everything you eat with the exception of chocolate and high fat foods. They also need to eat less as there will be no fillers in your cooking. Remember, you dogs' menu doesn't have to be balanced everyday, just over all, just like ours. And most of all, remember that dogs are carnivores and need species appropriate food, not a dog I know goes into the field and harvests corn or wheat to make into a meal.

Pet food companies use corn and wheat for fillers and tons of dogs are allergic to both these grains. Also, high carbo food is turning our pets into insulin dependent diabetics with shortened lifespans, yet another reason to take the grain out of their diets. If you don't want to cook, use hamburger, eggs, cheese, canned mackerel, corned beef, etc or look to some one like Honest Kitchen that offers people grade food for dogs.

It is worth it in no vet bills and longer lives for our companion animals. You will be amazed how happy a boiled chicken breast makes your dogs after they have been eating commercial food. It is a joy to watch them eat. Good luck and hope this helps start you thinking away from commercial dog food.

Feed and seed store. Diamond lamb and rice. about $25. Really good food. No corn, wheat or soy. Clean food. Lots of inspections. Well balanced.

Pets FoodOctober 21, 2011
🎂
📓
🌻