CatsPets

New Kitten Likes to Scratch

Category Cats

I was wondering if there were any ideas out there as to what to use to cover or protect sofas, doorways, etc from a new kitten who enjoys scratching things. She hasn't learned to use her scratching post yet.

Tracy from Avon, NY

I have a new kitten also; he's 8 months old. What I have been doing if I catch him sharpening his nails were I don't want him to, I smack his pause lightly with my hand, say no and take him over to his cat tree, which I have smothered with catnip, I will take the time to dangle his toys around the scratching post for him to jump on. He now prefers a small rug in the bathroom to scratch and flip up and climb under.

I do keep his nails clipped and when he scratches me I gently smashed as foot and say no. He's got the idea not to scratch me any more and now we're concentrating on him not biting me, I've been wearing fuzzy gloves for him, what he's doing now is biting down on just the gloves and not me through the gloves.

My cat is 15, but I've always just told her "no" and she listens to me. when your kitten starts to scratch on the furniture or other place where not wanted, take your fingernails and scratch on her scratching post. She'll come right over to join you there.

(dont smack your kitten unless you want her to learn to bite you. Kittens like children learn what they live.)