Recycled CraftsCrafts

Quilting With Foil Snack Bags

My 19 year old son came up with this while he and a friend watched me crochet rounds from the foil type snack bags I had cut into "metallic yarn" and I kidded that I was making him a car cover!

He said "Why don't you just cut the bags open and tape them together? (as you would patchwork quilt) I think that makes a lot more economical sense than trying to crochet them and all that cutting of the strips is time consuming!"

I thought on that and decided that glass tape is expensive (fiberglass that is nicknamed glass tape) so maybe a better deal would be shipping tape. It will hold out in the wet weather I believe.

Any idea?

Source: My 19 y/o Marine son Bradley

By Veronica

I've see these colorful, metalic-type snack bags zig-zaged together, with a sewing machine to make wonderful purses & totes... They are both colorful & functional!.... Very COOL!

* PS: How do you cut the bags up to make this "Metallic Yarn" you talked about???

To cut the "yarn" : wipe out the bag with a paper towel to remove grease & chip crumbs.Start cutting by angeling into the bag until you have cut about 3/4" to 1" wide strip & continue cutting around the bag in a spiral.You don't want to cut the strip too thin or it will break when you crochet.When you are finished you will have one long piece that is several yards long.I have seen instructions for cutting the plastic bags (the same principal)but they say to fold the bag & cut the strips (after the handles are removed) but they are cutting across the bag,forming loops that then have to be tied together to form the length.By cutting the bag (whatever type,plastic or metalic)in a spiral you eliminate all the knot tieing!

I like the idea of the purses & totes! That sounds interesting!

I would think shipping tape would get sticky in a hot car, maybe duct tape?

This is such an interesting idea. I hope you will tell us more about it. And thanks to your son for his service to our country. You must be very proud of him.

Jantoo : THANKS.I AM very proud of my son who we just got up to KCI this morning to ship to Camp Pendleton.
I am now wondering about
A)what type of tape
&
B)what type of tape won't melt in the sun
&
C)what tape will stick to the foil!
So, that leaves me with sewing it together patchwork style!

decisions...decisions

You could use duct tape. It comes in different colors.