AdviceHealth & Beauty

Hives After Eating Ice Cream

I ate some new flavor of Dove ice cream, now I have hives. How can I get rid of them?

Ohdawn from Henrico, VA

I would try taking some Benadryl.

Antihistamines will do it.

You might have a food allergy to something in the ice cream. Read the ingredients and see if there is anything that maybe you don't eat much. So it won't happen again. Antihistamines are good for hives, but if they don't go away you might need a steriod shot from the doctor.

Ohdawn, please do not self-medicate. Please see a doctor as soon as possible, preferably an allergist. Food allergies are very serious. The next time you ingest whatever caused the hives you could become deathly ill. I know. I am allergic to certain antibiotics that farmers put in their animal feed and the last time I had a reaction, it was to an omelet, my tongue and throat swelled up to where I couldn't breathe or swallow and I got to an emergency room with only a few minutes to spare.

Now I must carry an Epipen at all times and no longer eat any product with eggs in it.

Check out earthclinic.com. I'm not an advertiser, I just use the site for advice, but I remember reading about reactions such as this to icecream. Generally the advice from the site is great! Check it out!

Good luck!

By Arlinn (Guest Post)

Zyrtec has helped me. It is OTC now. Not the generic brand.

By SunshineRose (Guest Post)

I agree get to the doctor fast. The other thing to do is the Company know. This the only way they know if they have to change the product. You said it was a new flavor and this could help them know if they should keep the product or not. At one time all m and m's went down the same line so people who had reactions to nuts couldn't eat any of them.

You definitely have to careful of allergies.I have a friend who goes from OK to horrible in seconds over the tiniest bit of nuts.
This is why schools are careful about what food you bring into school.

I ended up with some antibiotics, a shot in my rear & some cream that had to stay on for 24 hours. The ice cream was dove, I never saw anything in the ingredients itself that had anything to do with nuts or oils from nuts, until I looked up the added part ganghe, which has soy? nut oil in it.