Paint Color AdviceDecorating

Painting the Bathroom Walls for a Tropical Theme

My bathroom right now, is a light gold color. My husband and I want to make it a tropical theme. I will be putting up a tropical wall mural in our bathroom, however I'm not sure our current paint color will work? What paint color would best work with a tropical theme?

By Kerri

I think pastels in aqua, pink or apricot would be good. Of course if your wall paper has bright colors you could use that too. Blue and sand colors work well also. Good luck.

I don't see anything wrong with the gold, that seems like a nice warm tropical color to me. However, what you need to do is see if it goes with the color of your mural. And "tropical" means different things to different people. You have to figure out what it means to you. For me, I think of jungle and palm trees and toucans. Another thing you could consider, instead of, or as well as, the mural, is to do some stenciling. My bathroom was white. I used a vine stencil in greens and purples around the top of the room, with "vines" dripping down into the corners, and around the mirrors.

I put a garland of tropical flowers/vineleaves sort of thing, around the top of the medicine cabinet, and I did some of the vine stenciling onto the painted vanity doors. Then I bought a shower curtain with the same colors (green and purple) and matched the towels to that. (You might want to get the shower curtain first!)

Anyway, if you are going with the mural, use that as your starter for color. Choose a paint color that matches one of the background colors in the mural, match your towels and shower curtain with the mural, and you are good to go.

A beautiful aqua, like the water in the Bahamas! Cool and soothing. You'll think of water and feel calm and relaxed.