Frugal Casserole Recipes

Category Casseroles
Making a baked main dish can be nutritious without having to cost much at all. This page contains frugal casserole recipes.

I need low-cost, easy casserole and slow cooker recipes! Something that I can freeze for future use, as well. I'm facing a layoff at work and need to watch every penny! I thank you, my stomach thanks you, and my pocketbook thanks you!

Kip from Llano, TX

Answers

Here are a few of my favorites:
tuna noodle / chicken noodle casserole
1 can of cream of chicken or cream of broccoli or cream of mushroom soup

1 can of water or chicken broth
1 can of tuna or 1 cup of chicken
1 to 2 cups of chopped diced veggies (broccoli, carrots, etc)
8 oz pasta
cheese to top if desired
breadcrumbs to top if desired

Just mix it up and cook!

Besides casserole dishes as food stretchers and easy to make, so are chili, homemade vegetable soup, goulash, lasagna and homemade potato soup. You could also use rice in ground meat to stretch farther.
If you like Bangers and Mash, you can use sliced sausage and onion fried in a skillet and put over hot mashed potatoes and add brown gravy to the top. Add a slice of bread and butter or biscuit and you've got a tasty meal with leftovers easy to freeze.

Cooking ham in dried beans and having cornbread and onions; now that's tasty, nutritional and inexpensive as you can get and freezes well.
I even enjoy pancakes and an egg for supper at times with bacon and biscuits. Pancakes can be made in advance and placed in a freezer bag until ready to use. Spread a little margarine over it and place a damp papertowel over the pancake before warming in the microwave to keep it moist.
Vegetable soup is ez to make and good for you. Take a can of this and a can of that (drained) and add to a large pot along with a large can of tomato juice or V8 juice and 2-3 stalks cut up celery, 1 lg onion and raw potatoes cut into small chunks enough to fill one of the vegetable cans (corn, beans, peas, carrots whatever is on hand or that you like). Let cook with lid on pan until potatoes are done. You can add cooked and drained ground beef or cooked cubed meat.

Many recipes can be found to meet your purposes by doing a google search and are free and printable.

About.com has a great selection of slow cooker recipes. Just type in slow cooker or crock pot recipes and a long list will come up. We have been there done that several times in 36 years. Good luck to you!

Yahoo groups has a group called casseroles and crock pots. They have some really good recipes. You might want to give it a try.