Plugged Garbage Disposal

My wife put carrots and potato peels in the disposal and it is just a plugged up mess. It spins, but will not not drain. Any suggestions before I call the plumber? The disposal sits in the middle of the sink; it's not a divided sink.

By Scott

Have you ever tried the ehow.com website? To fixing things, the website is a wealth of knowledge!

It kind of depends on where it is plugged. I peeled potatoes one year for a Thanksgiving dinner where I had my families invited. Not knowing any better, I put the peels down the disposal and lucky for me, two of my sons were plumbers. Still, it was so plugged that it was stopped up in the soil pipe! That is the huge pipe that you see in your basement. They had to take it apart and unplug, it was a stinky mess. Moral, never put potato peels down the disposal. After doing that, I never had a disposal since and do not miss it one bit.

I don't know if this would help with starchy potato peels but once many years ago a dish cloth slipped down the garbage disposal without my noticing it. When I turned the disposal on it got stuck. I poured straight bleach in and left it to eat away at the dish cloth. A couple of hours later I ran the water and turned the disposal back on. Success.

Try searching ThriftyFun. :)
http://www.thri  posal/index.html

These things can be put in the disposal but not in large amounts. If her hand is small enough to reach into the disposal she can bring the peelings out and start over, I have had to do that.

Sometimes something like a piece of plastic gets in mine. I just reach in and pull it out.

Try pouring in a 1/2 cup baking soda followed by a cup or two of white vinegar. Run the disposal. If that doesn't loosen try a second cup of baking soda followed by pouring another 2-3 cups of vinegar from the gallon bottle, With the disposal and water running as well. Follow with a pan of boiling water.

Then run cold water from the tap.Hope this works for you. It does at our house. And then run a weekly 1/2 cup baking soda and cup of vinegar down all drains in the house. Always follow with cold water to flush through. GG Vi

Anonymous

This is UNBELIEVABLE!!! 6 potatoes, 12 carrots, thought for sure RotoRooter was in my future. 2 rounds didn't work. Let it sit with vinegar and baking soda while I boiled a FULL kettle of water (took 25 min!).

Turned on disposal, poured with eyes closed and prayed. Nothing for 15-20s and then some gurgling and all of a sudden- WHOOSH! Total miracle worker. THANKS SO MUCH!

Anonymous

I had to repeat the process 3 times but it worked great!! Thanks

Thank you! It worked!

My disposal would not drain. Tried the reset switch and crank but no good. Did the plunger, the baking soda, vinegar and boiling water. Perfect! No plumber here but smart woman who can google!