CatsPets

Discouraging Cats from Using Neighbor's Yards for Cat Box

Category Cats

I recently found out that my indoor/outdoor cats are using several flower beds, gardens, and bushes in our neighborhood for their litter box. To try to lure them away I have cleared a small area in our backyard and covered the dirt patch with fine mulch (which they seem to like to use in other yards).

Is there anything I can add to the mulch to attract them in hopes that they will start using it for their outdoor litter box?

By Dan from Binghamton, NY

Put a sand box in your back yard. you will have to clean it about once a week but it will make for happier neighbors.

This is one reason why all my cats were inside cats!

I would go to a dollar store and stock up on cayenne pepper. Sprinkle it where you don't want them to go. You will need to reapply after it rains but they don't like the smell. You can get pretty big jars at the dollar stores so it's not a big expense.

Sandy

My kitties are inside cats, because I do not want them bothering my neighbors, plus I don't want them killing birds. Also, I have a neighbor that leaves her cats out and they are always at my bird feeder that I had to quit feeding the birds, which is my hobby. I couldn't entice the birds in so my neighbors cats can kill them. I have asked her nicely, but she uses the excuse that her cats want out, but they all would love to be out, but you have to be a responsible pet owner and the cats are more safe inside.