Decorate Cake with Thrift Store Toys

You can customize a cake and make it special for the recipient by spending more ingenuity than money. When my grandson was 4, he was so-o-o into the movie "Cars". So for his birthday, I made him this cake. Many thrift stores sell bagged little toys for 50 cents. I found all the ones I needed for $1.00, including the trading cards. I put all the toys in the dishwasher to sanitize, then I started the fun!

I made two chocolate cakes (his favorite), one in a 13 x 9 inch pan and the other in a round cake pan. I placed the small round one on top and frosted. I glued the cards on popsicle sticks and placed them on each side of the race track. I added some little picket fencing, wood trees, and plastic hay stacks, all found at thrift stores. The entire cake, including the numeral candle, cost me $6.00. It was a hit at the party and my grandson was thrilled!

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking CakesFebruary 2, 2011
🍀
💘