How Do I Keep Okra?

I have so much okra. Do I freeze them so I can cook at a later date? Are there any other methods of preserving okra?

By Carrie

Yes, you can freeze okra. To freeze whole, just blanch briefly ( a minute will do) in boiling water and pack in freezer bags. You can also slice the okra after blanching and freeze it that way. You can also make pickled okra. Southern Living magazine has a great pickled okra recipe on their website.

You can freeze it. Anything you see frozen in the supermarket you can freeze at home.

I have frozen a lot of okra. When I used it at Christmas, guests thought it was fresh cut okra. To get the okra ready to freeze, do not cut the okra but leave it whole. Place it in boiling water for a minute, or until all turns a bright green. Don't leave it in the boiling water very long.

Immediately place it in cold or icy water to cool it down. Let it dry and cool for about twenty minutes then place it in freezer bags, and put it in the freezer. When you go to use it, the pods can be used as fresh and can be sliced or it can be boiled whole. This really works well with no freezer taste. Enjoy.