Homemade Ice Cream Leaves Waxy Film?

When I make homemade ice cream, I get a waxy film on the spoons and even in my mouth. What is this and how can I keep it from happening?

Rachel

Does your recipe have sweetend condensed milk in it? One of my recipes with this gave me the same problem. I just use another recipe now.

What other recipe do you use ????

Are you sure it is a waxy substance?
A Friend of mine made me a very rich batch of chocolate ice cream, it had something Sticking to the spoon, it seen to coat the inside of my mouth and on closer inspection we figured out it was butter, apparently the cream or half and half What ever she used was so rich with turning the ice cream it actually turned to butter. The next time you make ice cream see if it doesn't have a real buttery taste.

Here is my Recipe for Vanilla Ice Cream, try this one and see if u like it
No Cook Vanilla Ice Cream

5 eggs
2 1/2 cups Sugar
5 Cups Milk(Regular)
1 quart Heavy Cream(I use 5 cans of Evaporated Milk; Pet or Carnation)
2 Tablespoon Vanilla Flavor
1/2 teaspoon Salt
Directions:
Beat Eggs until light and fluffy with electric or hand mixer
Gradually add sugar and continue beating until mixture is stiff. Add remaining ingredients and beat until mixed thoroughly. Pour into a 4 or 6 gallon freezer can and freeze by the freezer's directions.

Thanks but I do not use eggs. I do not wish to eat raw eggs. Would this recipe work without them.

Using eggs is a premium ice cream. I don't like it either it taste to heavy and rich

It is fat, not wax. You are probably using real cream, and if it's heavy cream, you're making butter too.

By gab (Guest Post)

Rachel- I have the same problem. Even if it is butter, it is still unpleasant.

I am going to see if changing the brand of cream and/or churning it a little less will make a difference.

I get the same waxy film and a waxy residue on my tongue too. If it is butter, wouldn't it melt in my mouth? I am wondering if it could be the additives in my whipping cream, which include cellulose gum, microcrystalline cellulose, carrageenan, sugar and whey powder. In my area I can't find cream that doesn't have them. Can anyone comment who uses additive free cream?

The recipe that I use calls for a pint of heavy whipping cream (one recipe says whip till soft peaks form - the other says whip till stiff peaks form) 1 can sweetened condensed milk - vanilla, 1/4 cup sugar and whatever flavoring you want. I have tried doing soft peaks and then beating the sweetened condensed milk with flavoring in - and then I've tried beating stiff peaks and folding in the scm with flavorings. Still get the waxy coating on spoon and mouth. Am I doing something wrong???????

Your ice cream has been overchurned, and is turning to butter.

It's not butter. It is something in sweetened condensed milk that leaves a waxy feeling film. It is like that straight out of the tin, not from any sort of mixing. I can't stand it either and refuse to use it in my cooking because it does not go away.

I have to literally scrape my tongue to get rid of it. I was hoping to find a way around it but it looks like very few people know it's a thing.

It is not from sweetened condensed milk. I am using a recipe with only heavy cream, and still get the film on my tongue, roof of my mouth and behind my teeth. I am using a no-churn recipe that calls for the cream to be whipped slightly before freezing. The first batch, I whipped too much and learned that it was separated fat/butter. The second batch, I whipped for about a minute to soft peaks. Still getting the butter/film. Like the other commenter, I think it should melt if it's butter, so I am going to try a different cream. The brand I used does not list any additives. I mix homemade ice cream frequently, and this is the first time this has happened. Going to try recipe without whipping the cream. I often use the single-serve Zoku ice cream freezer bowl, but didn't with this recipe because of the whipped cream technique.

Butter will not melt in a mouth full of frozen ice cream. Butter will not melt in a mouth that just had frozen ice cream in it.

Butter will not melt until it reaches 95° Fahrenheit. This why that waxy feeling in your mouth eventually does go away not too terribly long after your last bite. Just sayin

Hi Rachel, I just had the same result. I think the problem is the heavy cream being over whipped thru the mixer. I literally saw my heavy cream become grainy while mixing. I shouldve added a little bit of heavy cream to bring it back to its right texture. Will try again next time, hope youve figured out yours!

Hey All, Same thing happened to me but I believe I eliminated about 90-95% of the fatty substance. Here'e what I did. DO NOT USE sweetened condensed milk. Do this instead, use 1 can if evaporated milk and 2 1/2 cups of sugar, place in a pot and simmer until "ALL" the sugar is melted into the milk (keep stirring until it is, this is important because if you don't the ice cream will be gritty). Remove it from the heat and let sit in the pot for about 1/2 hour. Take your spoon and "SKIM" the top to remove any residue from it then pour into a container and place into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (I leave overnight)This mixture must be at least cooled to room temperature the colder the better.

Whip your cream (16oz) as normal, (don't over whip) whip until you get peaks that form then pour your mixture in it (11 oz makes it nice, if you use more then you'll get softer ice cream) Mix it well, add your flavorings, pour into a container and freeze. Note: if your ice cream is to sugary add 1/8 tsp salt to the sweet mixture that should cut down the sweetness. If you need more than 1/4 tsp of salt because you don't like it so sweet "PINCH" the salt in after you already put in 1/4 tsp otherwise the salt will take over it fast. Enjoy folks.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking From ScratchAugust 6, 2007
🐛
🌻
😎
📓
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf97912921.tip.html

Cooking From ScratchFood Tips