Pools and Hot TubsHome Improvement

Troubleshooting Pool's Suction Vacuum

My pool filter seems to be working fine, but when I plug my suction vacuum into it the filter pressure gets really high and I lose water pressure. My local pool store told me I should be vacuuming on the waste setting, but this just shoots water out into my yard. What am I doing wrong?

By TaraD from Oklahoma

Anonymous

You could call a different pool store or contact the manufacturer of your pool vacuum and ask them.

When was the last time you cleaned inside the filter? You can use the filter to vac in closed system but it is not as efficient. If they pool has lots of leaves etc you need to do it in open system. Did you install shut offs? If not you loose even more water.

I have shut offs on the line going to the 'eyeball', as well as one coming from the pool to filter (handy when having to clean the filter). I also put one on the exit this way I can control the water leaving - I shut down filter and close the exit water while resetting the hose or whatever. Ria

If you have an in ground pool and a DE filter, this is what I do. I know nothing about above ground pools.
I check the basket by the filter and empty that first if it is really full. Then I back wash a small amount. This sometimes lowers the pressure and gives more suction to the vacuum. I never vacuum the pool on waste, unless the water level is high. You may want to extend your waste hose to go into the street. Remember, this is in ground pool info.

I cannot keep dirt off the bottom of the pool. The vacuum will not suck up the dirt off the bottom.

By Tom

Answers

When was the last time you backwashed your pools sand filter? If the sand is filthy it will not vacuum up any more dirt. If you have never done this you can do a search on how to do it or go to the manufacturers website for instructions.