AdviceGardening

Getting Rid of Brambles

How can I get rid of brambles? I have tried shop bought sprays but they don't seem to do much. Any ideas?

By JENNY USHER from UK

Pour gas on them or spray with roundup, good luck.

If you are referring to blackberries with thorns (like I have in Washington State in the US), the best bet is a goat. I know it sounds funny but people here rent out their goats (or a friend may just lend one) to folks to get rid of brambles and "pricker bushes". It seems the little darlings love to eat them!

Worth a look around for someone with a hungry goat.

Cheers,
Julia from Woodinville, WA, US
(My husband is an ex-pat from the UK.)

We have thorny bushes here in NJ. They pop up everywhere in my yard! Most times hubby just cuts them down except where they provide a bit of privacy from our neighbor. I was thinking of trying something that I have recently read as a natural weedkiller to see if it works: spraying it with white vinegar.

But take care as the vinegar will kill grass and other plants so spray only what you wish to be rid of. It is a inexpensive thing to try first.