ReusingGreen Living

Reuse Glass Candle Holders As Glasses

I found that once a candle, for example, Glade, has been used and there is the left over amount of wax in the glass, that they can be used as nice drinking glasses for orange juice or even that evening mixed drink with ice. They are made with thick glass and have a nice weight to them.

Just run them under hot water for as long as it takes to get the left over wax to melt. Run it inside, outside, and on the bottom of the glass. After awhile the wax will soften up and you can remove it. There will then be a small metal disk on the bottom that held the wick. That is held in with a glue that will soften also with hot water. Take an old, sturdy fork, or something that will fit inside the glass to pry the disk up and out of the glass. Any labels can be soaked off in hot soapy water. If there is a glue residue left on the glass just take a scrub pad and rub it off while still running it under the hot water. Pop them in the dishwasher for a final washing and then you will have a nice clean glass.

By Donna M. from Towson, MD

Great idea! They can also be frozen for about an hour and the wax will just pop out.

Other uses might include potpouri, inscence, etc.

Also, you can find shaved wax candles in bags and they usually come with a wick, too. You simply put the wick back inside, fill the "unicolor" or "mixed" shavings in, and you have a new and unique candle.

I love these because they tend to disipate instead of melt, so there is vertually no mess behind.

I have found them at Walmart and sometimes the Dollar Tree, although right now they are not listed on the DT website.

PBP

With that amount of hot water you waste trying to get the wax out, the amount of time and effort, you can just go to WalMart or other store and buy some glasses. Not to mention that the glass that is made to hold candles may contain things that are not meant to be washed or touched by human lips. Dollar tree has signs all over it's glassware saying it contains lead, who knows what the candle glasses have in it? Since it's not considered glassware, they don't have to put warnings on it.

I think it's a thrifty way to put unknown things into your body. Believe me I'm not a granola munching organic freak, I just think that I'd rather stay with what I know to be safe. I'm sure I could drink from a bleach bottle if I washed it enough times, but I won't.

Anonymous

Donna, I love your idea! For the concern about wasting water all you have to do is fill the container with almost/not quite boiling water and let sit for just a minute then use an old spoon to start scooping everything out, immediately wipe inside with a towel to remove any remaining residue and then wash.

To solve whether Michawnpita's fears are valid or not I just emailed to the Johnson & Johnson company who are the makers of Glade candles. I should hear back within two business days and will post their answer here for you. If asked a safety question they have to answer it honestly by law. Anyway, here is what I wrote:

Glade Candles

To Whom It May Concern,

I am hoping you will write back with an answer to my question and perhaps fairly soon?

Someone has suggested cleaning and reusing the glass containers of Glade candles as small drinking glasses. My question is, is this safe to do whether they are candles or candle oil?

Even though residue is completely removed and washed is it possible that harmful chemicals might have seeped into the glass itself? Also, do the glass containers themselves contain lead?

I absolutely love the thought of reusing/recycling. Just want to make sure it's safe for human consumption to use this idea.

Most Sincerely,
Deeli Lynn

No matter what the outcome, Donna, I am giving you a big fat thumbs up for simply coming up with an idea to try reusing instead of just throwing them out as Michawnpita seems to suggest :-)

Anonymous

Okay, back with an answer from the Johnson & Johnson company. They emailed and asked if I would personally talk to both a medical and then an ingredient/content representative to make sure they understood what I wanted to know. So I did call. ;-)

The medical person said she wouldn't recommend using as a drinking glass because there could still be chemical residue that might cause an upset stomach. The ingredient/content representative said there is no data showing there is lead in the glass but to be on the safe side not to use the glass holder for holding beverages or food.

The ingredient/content representative also mentioned that it is not safe to reuse the glass to burn other types of candles, oils or incense in but that the glass is completely safe for filling with potpourri or for storing non-food items long term.

I have two feelings about this...

1: They are just saying no because they are covering themselves against someone filing an absurdist civil lawsuit and it's actually fine.

2: If true, isn't that a bit worrisome? If these are chemicals that can seep into glass to the extent that they cannot be ingested even after washing with boiling water, is it safe to burn them into gas form and inhale them?

Top Comment

Yeah...pretty much just says their glassware hasn't been tested to see if it meets regulations for food and beverage use. Which we already know. Depends how safe you want to be. I'll risk it, maybe wouldn't give it to small children. I googled "lead in glassware" to see what the risk was. Kind of vague. Found a government which page suggested using glassware with lead only for serving - and suggested soaking it in vinegar for 24 hours before use to leach out some lead. Think I'll do that vinegar thing and enjoy my re-cycled candle glasses.

For anyone hesitant about drinking glasses, the candle containers make great vases. Small ones with little bouquets scattered on a table or running down the center with new candles are mice.