LaundryCleaning

Disinfect Laundromat Washing Machines

To avoid getting germs from another family when using the laundromat washers, just wipe down the machine with Listerine mouthwash. Then add 1/2 cup of Listerine to the wash cycle. The Listerine disinfects the machine.

By Janette from Parkersburg, WV

Vinegar is much cheaper; antiseptic as well as antibiotic.

I stopped using laundromats because I figured out the one I was using had shut off the hot water! I did my laundry by hand (not easy!); saved spare change and bought a used machine from Habitat For Humanity shops, wish I'd known about using a disinfectant while I was still using laundromats.

I did use vinegar, but frankly, while I do believe vinegar is a great additive to laundry, it won't kill a lot of the super germs and lice-bleach and Lysol will. (But I'll always believe the best combination for clean, disinfected laundry is hot water and a good disinfectant)

I gave this a thumbs up, and I hope this wins, great tip!

!/2 cup of borax is best if you do not want to use bleach. It has minimal effects on the environment and with very hot water is an effective disinfectant, cleaner and deodorizer as per the infectious disease specialists. It can also be used to do the weekly bathroom cleaning. You need an effective disinfectant in the bathroom and the kitchen.

P.S. never wash babies or children in the kitchen sink as E.Coli will contaminate your surfaces. You need to wash your hands after diaper changes too. My pet peeve.