BirthdayParties

Paying for a Surprise Birthday Party Without My Husband Noticing

I need help. I am going to throw my husband a surprise 30th birthday. I am going to hire a DJ, we have joint accounts. How do I give the DJ a deposit without him noticing and how can I pay for any of the party supplies without him noticing? Any creative ideas on how to do that?

Nicole from Santa Rosa, CA

Borrow enough from a close friend for the expenses, then pay it back after the party.

Everytime you write a check for groceries make it for more, hide the $$ and toss the receipt. I've saved up $600 in less than six months and I've been dying to tell my husband, but I need more $$. I'm saving for a GSD puppy for him. We have a great male but lost our girl to cancer a few months ago. By the time we are ready for another dog I should be able to get a quality pup. I work but our money goes into a joint account. He is not at all stingy or controlling and would let me get just about anything we could afford. I want this to be a complete surprise,

Great idea! I would have never thought of that. I knew that someone would have some creative ways to do it. I can use that when I go to Longs and stuff too. I can use the second suggestion too for my DJ deposit, just gotta find someone willing to do it, birthday isn't until May. Thank You so much!

If you work & buy lunch every day, you could pack cheaper lunches or leftovers from home & save the money. If you buy special take-out coffee style drinks buy less of them & save the money. Maybe you could bring coffee from home in a cup or thermos and save even more?

I got away with the whole number, including a cook in my house. I told him our friend was having a surprise party for her DH at our house. I didn't have to hide anything, including new chairs for the patio.

She's a chef, and told her DH the food she was cooking was for a surprise party at our home for my DH.

Actually, it was a surprise party for both our DHs. Didn't matter who saw what. Our answers were true, and both DHs were surprised.

You could also list the check you write in your register for something normal - like groceries, hair cut, car service, whatever - when the check is actually made out to the DJ...as long as you are the one who actually balances the checkbook, or as long as your checks are not returned w/statements!

Good luck!

slw

Or, for the DJ deposit, you could save your extra $$ and get a money order.

i always save my extra change and put it away thats what i use at the end of the year for x-mas it doesn't take long to come up with alot.

Who is still using checks? Every time you make a purchase with your debit card, get a small amount of cash back so it doesn't seem that there is any unusual activity on the account. If you spread it out over an appropriate length of time your husband will be none the wiser.

Note to Guestposter: I often use my debit card, but I honestly find it easier to keep track of my money using my check book. When my husband and I are both ATMing and debiting in all directions it gets a little hairy sometimes.

Pop the purchases on credit card (ask the DJ if he takes this) or set up an account for the party supplies.

I'M PLANNING A SURPRISE PARTY WITH SOMEONE THAT MY WIFE THINKS I'M HAVING AN AFFAIR WITH BUT SHE'S JUST A FRIEND THAT I'M USING. BECAUSE I CALL HER USING MY CELLPHONE SO THAT MY WIFE CAN FIND OUT BUT NOW SHE'S VERY ANGRY SHE WANTS A DIVORCE SHOULD I TELL HER THE TRUTH OR PLAY ALONG.

Editor's Note: I'd tell her that you LOVE HER and that you are planning something special for her birthday. You certainly don't want to lose your wife.

Try getting a Visa or American Express Gift Card for yourself that you can reload with small amounts that he won't notice.

See if the DJ will take a small deposit to hold the date and then see if you can meet him prior to the party (earlier in the day or maybe the night before) with cash for him (if you take it out of the bank that morning your husband will most likely not notice it). I am sure that DJ's deal with this all the time and many would work with you!