Use Dryer Sheets for Embroidery

I recently bought a sewing/embroidery machine and love to embroider on things that I make. The stabilizer is pretty expensive so I didn't buy any, instead I use dryer sheets. I save them after drying my clothes, iron them and then reuse them. If you need a stiffer stabilizer, use it before it has been dried with your clothes. It works great and makes your craft smell good!

By Wendy from Amarillo, TX

I don't embroider but I want to say this is an amazing idea. Same basic principles as expensive stabilizer for free (considering you use them in the dryer).

Great idea! This would also work for applique sewing too. Thanks!

Be careful on using the sheets before they have been used. The residue could clog your machine and cause damage.

I would not do this, the cost of repairs to your machine would be far greater then the savings of not buying stabilizer. After how much I've spent on my embroidery machine I will not gunk it up with stuff not made for it.

Please be aware that ALL dryer sheets have very toxic chemicals in them. I would not use them for anything, including putting in with clothes!

I have picked up stabilizer very inexpensively by the yard. As the others stated, there are chemicals in these sheets, first and foremost. What ever fabric you are afixing it to, will have oil like stains that may never come out.

If you are looking for stabilizer, go to a fabric warehouse, get non adhesive interfacing of what ever stiffness you want. This is stabilizer. Check with a local business that does embroidery for their suppliers. Check ebay. I picked up a whole bunch at a garage sale, someone got tired of their projects and moved them out. We have a clothing 'factory' here which sells cheaply end bolts, supplies, and I frequent their public sales.

Great idea! for those worried that these are not OK to leave in, you could just use them for designs for which you will clip out most of the stabilizer anyway. A lot of my embroidery machine stabilizer is for temporary use; it is clipped away after i'm done. I have followed this for used dryer sheets as a light stabilizer only only so far with good results.

Dryer sheets are great for many things, after they have been used in the dryer. You can place the used sheets in the bottom of waste containers to keep them fresh; you could place them into your kids sneakers and they'll be fresher for the next use. You could also use them for facing when sewing embroidery items onto clothes, or anything that you might need to strengthen the stitch. Just cut away what is not needed after you are done sewing. They can also be used to freshen up the laundry or hampers between washing times.

There are still so many more uses, let your imagination go wild instead of using them once and throwing them away. A new April Fresh Downey or other types of your choice are great to stash in the linen closet or items that have to be stored away for a season. They are always fresh when you go to use them the next season too. You can even use them for small spills too.

When cleaning, think of multiple purposes for each item you use and you will end up saving money too.

By Cecilia from Wilmington, DE