Ethiopian Injera (Flat Bread)

Does anyone here at ThriftyFun have a "tried and true" recipe for injera? I absolutely love Ethiopian food, but there are no Ethiopian restaurants within even two hours of where I live now:(

I have been experimenting with assorted Ethiopian recipes and they are turning out great, but I am very much missing the injera that is so much a part of the meal.

I have tried a couple of online recipes for it, but for once, I am stumped on getting a recipe to turn out right. Any personal recipes and tips would be so very much appreciated if you've been able to tackle injera successfully.

By Ann from Richland, WA

Anonymous
Best Answer

My sister was a missionary to Ethiopia this is what her bread looked like when she made it.
Injera Recipe:

1 1/2 cups ground teff
2 cups water
salt, to taste
vegetable oil, for the skillet

Mix the ground teff and water together in a bowl with salt to taste. Make sure there are no lumps. Put aside for one to three days to allow the dough to ferment. This is when the injera acquires its tangy, slightly sour taste.

Heat up a skillet, adding a little oil so the injera doesn't stick. The injera dough should be loose like a pancake or crepe batter. Pour some batter or dough on the hot skillet covering the entire cooking surface. The injera should be thicker than a crepe, but not as thick as a pancake.

Allow the injera to cook. Little bubbles will rise to the surface. Once the top in the injera is dry it's done. You only cook one side of this bread and you don't allow the injera to brown on the cooked side.

Substitutions and Additions:

You may substitute other flours such as rice flour, whole wheat flour, or corn meal for the teff flour. Some people use half self-rising flour and another flour.

Sometimes club soda is used instead of water. This gives the dough faster start in the fermentation process - sort of like a sour dough starter.

Yeast may also be added to the recipe to help the dough rise.

Deeli, have you tried the recipe from allrecipes.com?
allrecipes.com/.../Detail.aspx

I've never had it. If you decide to try the recipe, be sure to read the reviews -- lots of ideas/suggestions/information. Good luck with your bread! I hope you find a recipe and suggestions that work for you!