Amish Friendship Bread Starter

Category Quick
Loaf of bread with rolling pin on white background
This pass along sweet bread is very popular. You may have received a bag of the starter yourself, but don't know how is it made to begin with. This is a guide about Amish friendship bread starter.

Great for holiday gift giving and taste great with coffee

Important Note: Don't use metal spoons or equipment. Do not refrigerate. Use only glazed ceramic or plastic bowls or containers.

Day 1:

Do nothing with the starter.

Days 2-5:

Stir with a wooden spoon.

Day 6:

Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk. Stir with a wooden spoon.

Days 7-9:

Stir with a wooden spoon.

Day 10:

Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Stir. Take out 3 cups and place 1 cup each into three separate plastic containers. Give one cup and a copy of this recipe to three friends. To the balance (a little over one cup) of the batter, add the following ingredients and mix well. In a separate bowl combine the following dry ingredients and mix well: Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix and pour into two well greased and sugared bread pans. Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour

Servings: 6-8
Time:10 Days Preparation Time
1 Hours Cooking Time

Source: armchair.com

By dbleoangel from Lancaster, Pa

Is my Amish friendship bread OK being left out on the counter until I add the other ingredients on the 5 day? That is when I add the sugar, milk, and flour again. After that do I still leave it out until the 10th day when I add the stuff again?

By Stacey from North Charleston, SC

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

In answer to your posted question, yes it is! I've made many of these breads and they are wonderfully tasteful! If you'll scroll down to check out the archives section, they also have one posted titled: Friendship Bread by mkymlp, It is made without using the starter and is just as tasty and moist without going to all the trouble. I've made quite a few this way also and really can't tell the difference. It makes 2 loaf pans or one 9" x 13" pan.

I need the Amish Friendship bread starter made without yeast.

By Jody

Best Answer

My recipe is the same as Robin's. But, in making it throughout the years, I have changed by adding different flavor puddings, choc. chips, coconut, and different flavorings besides vanilla. It gives you something to change up besides the plain for a change. Just experiment with different things that you like.

Best Answer

When you are given a starter in a bag its usually about 1 cup of starter. Hence it will be

1/3 cup flour

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup milk

1/2 tablespoon yeast

I have used this many times, as the recipe goes, if you do not want to pass along any more bags, I think it is 3, then just do not put in the last 3 cups of flour, sugar, milk. I hopes this helps you out.Good luck.

I am looking for the recipe for the starter for friendship bread. You know, the one you feed everyday, then pass starters off to your friends and they do the same and on and on. I love this and it's fun. Then on a certain day after feeding it, you add more ingredients and make loaves of bread! The one I used to have makes like a cinnamon bread. Does anybody know what I am talking about? I would appreciate it!

By Ann from OH

Best Answer

Amish Friendship Bread Starter

"Yeast, sugar, milk and flour ferment to make starter for sweet bread. Because the recipe produces so much starter, give some away to friends."

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast

1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45

degrees C)3 cups all-purpose flour, divided

3 cups white sugar, divided

3 cups milk

Directions:

1.In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container glass, plastic or ceramic container, combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. Leave loosely covered at room temperature.

2.On days 2 thru 4; stir starter with a spoon. Day 5; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Days 6 thru 9; stir only.

3.Day 10; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Remove 1 cup to make your first bread, give 2 cups to friends along with this recipe, and your favorite Amish Bread recipe. Store the remaining 1 cup starter in a container in the refrigerator, or begin the 10 day process over again (beginning with step 2).

Overall, this bread has so many calories that I personally cannot eat this.

Starter Ingredients

Directions

Mix in a large, sealable zip lock baggie with wooden spoon. Do not use metal spoon or bowl. Remove all air. Do not refrigerate. It is normal for batter to thicken, bubble and ferment. It will expand each day.

Friendship Bread

Ingredients

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease 2 loaf pans. Coat insides with mixture of the cinnamon and sugar, reserving some for sprinkling on top of loaves. Add remaining ingredients to starter. Divide batter into bread pans and sprinkle tops with reserved cinnamon and sugar mixture. Bake for 1 hour.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Answers:

Starter For Friendship Bread

Unless someone gave you the starter, you must make your own containing yeast. Following is the starter, then you just add milk, sugar and flour after it is started.

Amish Friendship Bread Starter

(Always use a wooden spoon. Or use the bag method.)

Day 1: In small bowl combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast. Cover loosely and let stand at room temperature until bubbly.

Days 2 through 4: Stir with wooden spoon. Or use the bag method.

Day 5: Stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk.

Days 6 through 9: Stir with wooden spoon. Or use the bag method.

Day 10: Stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Remove 1 or 2 cups to make your first bread; give 3 cups to friends, along with this recipe. Store remaining starter in a container in refrigerator and begin 10 day process again.

You can also freeze this starter in 1 cup measures for later use. Frozen starter will take at least 3 hours at room temperature to thaw before using.

Yields 6 cups starter.

Amish Friendship Bread

Mix well.

Grease and sugar 2 loaf pans; pour in batter; sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.

Bake 1 hour at 325 degrees F.

(02/20/2008)

By jewatson58

Starter For Friendship Bread

In the past, I used the recipes that are posted. Now I use this recipe. This Friendship Bread tastes like the one made with the starter, without all the waiting.

Friendship Bread

Sugar/Cinnamon Mix

Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease two loaf pans.

Mix oil and sugar, add eggs and vanilla; beat. In separate bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients, including walnuts. Add dry mix alternately with milk until well blended.

Mix 1/3 cup sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon together in small bowl. In two greased loaf pans, sprinkle mix on the sides and bottoms of the pans. Save some to sprinkle on top of loaves.

Pour batter into prepared pans, sprinkle top of loaves with the sugar/cinnamon mix. Optional, sprinkle chopped walnuts on top. Bake for one hour or until tested done. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. May be served with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Freezes well. Tightly wrap cooled loaves in plastic wrap, then in foil before freezing.

(02/21/2008)

By Mike

Starter For Friendship Bread

Many thanks to Robin for the recipe. My niece had a tonsillectomy and it gave her and her sisters something to look forward to doing each day for 10 days! One question however....how do you proceed to reuse this starter for another batch? Do you just squeeze for 5 days again, then add ingredients, or do you add to it right away? Thanks for your help. (04/01/2008)

By Mommapatty

Does anyone out there have the ingredients to "start" the Amish Friendship Sweet Bread? Or you may know it as "Herman the Cake". I remember it from the early 1980s. It was a fun thing to have and share. I would also like the directions also, but will be happy for just the starting point.

Thanks ,
Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

Answers:

Amish Friendship Sweet Bread

• 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
  • 3 cups white sugar, divided
  • 3 cups milk

Directions:

• In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container glass, plastic, or ceramic container, combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. Leave loosely covered at room temperature.

• On days 2 thru 4; stir starter with a spoon.
  • Day 5; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk.
  • Days 6 thru 9; stir only.
  • Day 10; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Remove 1 cup to make your first bread, give 2 cups to friends along with this recipe, and your favorite Amish Bread recipe.

• Store the remaining 1 cup starter in a container in the refrigerator, or begin the 10 day process over again (beginning with step 2).

Editor's Note:

Once you have made the starter, you will consider it Day One, and thus ignore step 1 in this recipe and proceed with step 2. You can also freeze this starter in 1 cup measures for later use. Frozen starter will take at least 3 hours at room temperature to thaw before using. (03/12/2006)

By Julia

Amish Friendship Sweet Bread

Amish Friendship Bread (Cake)

• one package active dry yeast
  • 2-1/2 cups warm water
  • 2 cups sifted flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar

Dissolve yeast in 1 cup of the warm water. Stir in remaining warm water, flour, and sugar. Beat until smooth. Place in a glass bowl on countertop and do not refrigerate. Cover with plastic wrap. Do not use metal containers or spoons to stir the starter. After the starter has fermented for 10 days, you're ready to begin the next 10 days. Make sure you don't miss a day! Mixture might become bubbly, and that's OK.

Day 1: Begin or receive starter
Day 2: stir
Day 3: stir
Day 4: stir
Day 5: Add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk
Day 6: stir
Day 7: stir
Day 8: Do nothing
Day 9: Do nothing
Day 10: Add 1 cup sugar,1 cup flour, 1 cup milk.

After all 10 days are completed, put 1 cup of the starter in four separate containers. Give three to friends and keep one. If your put in Ziploc bags tell friends to "Burp" the bag each day to keep excess air out. When you give the starter to them, they are ready to begin the Day 1 instructions immediately.

Next, when you're ready to bake your bread add the following ingredients to 1 cup of starter:

• 1 cup oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 large box or two small boxes vanilla pudding mix
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat by hand until well blended. Grease two loaf pans and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 325 degrees F for one hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
That's it. Have fun.

If you want to try a variation of the recipe, replace the cinnamon and vanilla pudding with one of the following: poppy seeds and lemon pudding, chocolate pudding and mini chocolate chips, or banana pudding and walnuts.
(03/14/2006)

By Opal

Amish Friendship Sweet Bread

Friendship Bread

• 1 cup oil
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 3.5 oz. box vanilla instant pudding
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 - 1 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1 1/4 cup milk

Sugar/Cinnamon Mix

• 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease two loaf pans. Mix oil and sugar, add eggs and vanilla; beat. In separate bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients, including walnuts. Add dry mix alternately with milk until well blended.

(03/16/2006)

By mkymlp

Amish Friendship Sweet Bread

I have made this with chocolate chips, raisins, and coconut.
Next batch I used butterscotch pudding with cranberries and a few chocolate chips. Next time I am going to use chocolate pudding, mini marshmallows, and chocolate chips. Oh I love this it's so flexible you can put anything in it that you want. My mom used to make this when I was a kid and she would put 1/2 the batter into the greased pan, sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon mixture and then put the rest of the batter and bake. (11/28/2007)

By Debbie

Amish Friendship Sweet Bread

For those of you wondering about making the cakes without sharing the batter, well I just did that tonight. I doubled "all" the ingredients for the 10th day, and then divided the resulting batter in half, adding a different instant pudding to each half.

To one half, I added lemon pie filling (the kind you use for lemon meringue pie), but did NOT bake it. I added the powder straight from the package along with 2 capsful of real lemon juice concentrate. It was amazing!

For each completed batch of batter, including the 3 "give away" cupfuls, you get (2) full sized loaf pans, (1) 8 inch square pan, and (4) mini-loaf pans.

So far I've made chocolate/chocolate chip cake, banana chocolate chip cake, and lemon. They have all been awesome! The best thing was that I didn't have to try and beg people to take the batter, I used it all up. They freeze really nicely too, either baked up or as batter.

(04/27/2008)

By speedyqltr

RE: Amish Friendship Sweet Bread

Amish Friendship Sweet Bread

Amish Friendship Bread Starter

Ingredients

• 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
  • 2 Tbsp. warm water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup milk

Directions

Day One: Combine yeast, warm water, and a pinch of sugar in a cup. Allow to stand a few minutes until it begins to foam. In a large glass or plastic bowl combine sugar, flour, and milk with wooden or plastic spoon. Stir in yeast mixture. Do not use metal bowl, spoon or beater. Cover loosely and keep at room temperature.

Day Two, Three, and Four: Stir through once each day.

Day Five: Add and stir 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Then stir in 1 cup milk.

Day Six, Seven, Eight and Nine: Stir through once each day.

Day Ten: Add and stir 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Then stir in 1 cup milk. Remove 4 cups of the mixture. Give 1 cup each to friends to use as starter (they put in a bowl and start at Day Two). Use one cup as your own starter with what remains in the bowl.

Amish Friendship Bread

Ingredients

• 10th Day Friendship starter (approx. 1 cup)
  • 2/3 cup oil
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 large apple, peeled, pared, and chopped
  • 1/2 cup nuts, chopped

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Beat together the ripened starter, oil, flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, salt, eggs, apple, and nuts. Pour into two well-greased 9x5 inch loaf pans. Bake 40-45 minutes. Makes two loaves.

(11/05/2008)

By Robin from Washington, IA

I would like the starter recipe for Amish Cinnamon Bread.

Day One: Combine yeast, warm water and a pinch of sugar in a cup. Allow to stand a few minutes until it begins to foam.

A few years ago I received a bag of sourdough starter and a recipe. You added flour and milk to the mixture one day and kneaded the next for some period of time.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.