Brother Sewing Machine Product Reviews

closeup of sewing machine needle area
When planning to purchase a new sewing machine, other people's experiences can help you decide which product is best for you to buy. This is a guide about Brother sewing machine product reviews.

I just bought the Brother BC-1000 for myself for Christmas. I though I'd try it out since it was a good price at Target (Only $149) and they said I could bring it back any time within 90 days after Christmas. I've taken it out of the box and given it a "test drive" and read the manual. It's a truly WONDERFUL machine for the money! It has great reviews on Amazon.

But, I'm thinking I want just a little bit "more", a computer machine with more decorative stitches and a built in alphabet. I'd like to stick with a 'Low Shank' machine (like Brother, Kenmore or White) because I already have several costly attachments from my old Brother. I don't need an embroidery machine, as this would just add to the cost, but this isn't mandatory. I am definitely looking for something under $400, preferably even under $300.

I love the way this new Brother BC-1000 threads, as it's SUPER SIMPLE and I like the way the bobbin drops in quick and easy. I don't like the way the stitches can't be programed to any wider or longer than 4.0 in most stitches, but I'm suspecting it's that way in most machines?

Has anyone out there got a Sewing machine that cost under $500 with decorative stitches that they are super happy with? Let me know so I can return this one and buy one that has more stitches (they SAY it comes with '100 stitch functions' but there's really only 50 or so actual stitch patterns if you don't include the button holes). PLUS, the button holes stitch width can't be adjusted.

My new computer machine (my other machine is a 1970's model) will REALLY get a work out, so it would be great if it were also durable, though I've been told by more than one Sewing Machine Repair Man that a computerized machine is only meant to last 4 or 5 years with normal use. I asked: "Could I then repair whatever goes wrong?" and he said "Would you repair your OLD computer?" This got me to thinking, How much money do I really want to spend on a computer machine that most likely won't hold up? But, I have to admit, when I tried my first computerized machine, I fell in love with the ease of it!

Cyinda from near Seattle

Top Comment

I like Janome sewing machines.

They used to be sold in Sears stores. I ended up buying my embroidery machine online, I was able to call the store a speak with a salesperson with all my questions

Before doing this, I went t o a sewing store a tried out all the machines. They usually have less expensive versions of the better machines or even trade ins.

I decided to go with the Janome because of the price and the fact that I had a lot of the equipment that I could use with the new machine and the old one.

Good Luck!

Top Comment

My former machine was a Kenmore. I say former because it was replaced with a Brother SE-270D--the Disney Machine (got it on sale at Wal-Mart). I had my Kenmore for 32 years--the trick is keeping it clean & oiled. My oldest son now has it & it's still going strong! I have had my Brother SE-270D since October--got it for myself for my B-Day in November--paid $350.00. Of course, if you want to use embroidery designs other than those already on the machine, then you have to buy the PED-Basic to use it's program disk in your machine. It's totally reuseable & re-programable--cost $129.00

The SE-270D is a combination sewing/embroidery machine & I just LOVE IT! I especially like that it threads the needle for you--unless you're using the double-needle & then you have to do it yourself. It also has the drop-in bobbin & will cut the thread for you! I love to embroider but my eyes are going bad & I just can't seem to see well enough anymore to keep the stitches straight & even. Plus, the length of time it takes to hand embroider something can seem to be an eternity when you are drawing closer to a deadline for your grandkids B-Days & your project is only half-finished.

It didn't help my case any when I went to my old sewing machine & couldn't see well enough to thread the needle even with the little threading wire! But switching to using this machine was exceptionally easy & it's easy enough to use that I'm teaching my 9 year old granddaughter how to sew on it! Plus, if you have an idea in your head for a project you want to do, there are a ton of embroidery files on the net that you can download for free!

I have yet to buy a design because with the proper programs you can combine designs to make whatever you want. The handbook goes into a lot of detail too--which makes it even easier to use & if you have any problems trying to figure out how to do something, you can go to the Brother website & learn from there or contact a tech. I would recommend the Brother SE-270D for ease of use & cost. Go to the Brother website & take a look!

About 3 years ago, DH and I were in Walmart looking at sewing machines. I have always been a user of another noted brand so I was off in a corner looking at them, leaving my DH to entertain himself. He was reading the carton info on a Brother Project Runway machine and another customer asked him if he was going to buy it. He explained what he was doing and what I was doing. She started singing the praises of the Brother Project Runway, like she was on TV.

He called me over there and we looked at one out of the carton. He lifted the one in the carton and noted it was heavy and probably had some metal in it and would be sturdy. The clerk came over and told us some good things about it and that she was getting one come payday. DH said "Do you want to try this?" We were both thinking it was more expensive than "my" brand, but he said that didn't matter. We walked out of there with my new sewing machine for less than 200 bucks and I love it!

It is the best sewing machine I have ever had. It was also below the amount we had decided we could spend that day. As the little kid on TV used to say, "Try it! You'll like it!" The stitches are numbered and you use the buttons on the front to key up and down to show the number in the little screen thingy. So simple to use and it is very sturdily built. After 3 years of almost daily use, it still fires up and does what I tell it to do. Best sewing machine ever! And did I tell you it was less than 200 bucks? The manual is about the size and thickness of a supermarket magazine (you know the one I mean). Mine is in English, but I'm sure they have them in other languages. I certainly hope so because this is one terrific little sewing machine!

I just recently bought a Brother Project Runway sewing machine. It is computerized, has 80 stitches, automatic needle threader and many other features. It is much heavier than other table top machines I have had. When it runs, it doesn't sound all clicky and shaky. It has a good powerful sound to it. I am really enjoying it. The very best part is that it is under 200 dollars!

I heartily recommend it to anyone who sews and needs a good serviceable machine. We were at Walmart looking at different machines. Three customers and one employee came over to us and started raving about this wonderful sewing machine. It has 2 manuals about the size of a Woman's Day magazine, one in English and one in Spanish.

By Marty from Knoxville, TN