Brother CS6000i Sewing Machine Won't Sew

Some problems with a sewing machine can be repaired by the crafter or seamstress. Certain issues simply need an adjustment made to correct the malfunction. This is a guide about what to do when a Brother CS6000i sewing machine won't sew.

I have a two year old Brother sewing machine that won't sew. The last time I used it was last year when I got annoyed because it was not working properly. Every time I tried to use the pedal the needle hits the metal plate where I put the fabric, but when I use the hand wheel it goes through it.

I tried turning it off, then on. The needle went through even with the pedal. It went through, but underneath the thread is building up like a nest and it's so slow. Also, it doesn't move like before. I don't know what to do. I'm still a newbie in sewing and I don't want to pay too much for fixing the machine. I'm loving the idea of sewing, but how can I do it when the machine is not properly working. Please help. Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

This is a problem with the feed on your sewing machine. You could have an issue with the feed dog being out of alignment. From what I can find out these machines are sensitive and hard to adjust and get the feed dog aligned correctly.

Step 1
Before taking it to the repair shop, check your bobbin. Make sure it is in correctly and the needle is not hitting the bobbin canister.

Step 2
Check to see if there isn't a thread problem and you don't have the thread in the bobbin area.

Step 3
Clean this area with the brush and remove all lint and thread.

Step 4
Oil the area and check to see if you have your bobbin in the right way.

If none of this works and the needle is still touching the bobbin canister, then you will need to take the machine to the repair shop.

Best Answer

Remove the thread and bobbin, cleaning out any debris you can find in the bobbin area. Make sure there isn't a needle that fell down there.

Run you finger around the bobbin casing to see if you can feel a something that might be catching the thread. Tighten any screws around the area.

I recently moved and packed up my Brother sewing machine in a shipping box. I unpacked it and everything was fine, but I stored it away in the closet for a year. I am finally taking it back out and when I go to press the foot pedal I just hear a loud humming, but the needle does not move up and down. I have tried moving the handwheel back and forth, but don't know what else to try.

Answers

I had that happen to a machine that had been stored for ages as well, and there was nothing for it but to take it to the shop at Sears. If I remember correctly, it was just some old thread stuck in there. Apparently all sewing machines need to be cleaned out now and again, espeially if they'be been sitting around for a while

You might need to oil it.

While I am always of the mindset to contact the experts first on machines...sewing machines are slightly different as there are some simple and not dangerous ways to check things out that should be done any way by any owner...

Have you taken out the bobbin case and reseated it and unloosened and re-tightened the balance wheel...those are always my first go to on my old Kenmore hums. Usually that fixes it as something just wasn't right. Brother's aren't all that different.

Also, while the bobbin case is out, take a little brush and brush out any of the yuck in there....that itself may free things up.

Never used canned air as it blows the gunk back in. Never use WD 40 either as it never seems to come out of the machine except on your projects for months to come (BIG MESS).

If the basic housekeeping tasks don't fix it, time to go for the big guns and call their customer services which is at this link:

www.brother-usa.com/brother-support

Good luck!!

Did you try to move the bobbin loading pin away from the bobbin loading position? Pretend you are loading a bobbin, on the top of the machine.

You see how you have to shift the pin to the right to get the bobbin to spin? That shuts down the sewing mechanism. Hope that helps.

I do know this is a very sensitive machine and not one to easily work with - even cleaning is not easy (not only to me but friends have said the same).
If you have not had your machine properly cleaned and adjusted in a long time (especially moving it around) I would suggest you take it to a recommended shop to have this done.
By recommended shop, I mean check with folks at your local Michael's or Jo Ann's as they usually hear all the good and bad about machine shops. Also, quilting shops are usually good places to check and they sometimes have their own repair shop.

Sears is usually okay but then, every shop should be checked out if at all possible as I compare this machine to a computer and I like to hear good things before dropping off a computer.

Brother's does not usually give support advice but recommends their support website for help with problems like this. Some things may sound/look easy but in reality they can be very frustrating.

www.brother-usa.com/.../CS6000I

help.brother-usa.com/.../machine-makes-a-noise-but-the-needle...